Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montreal Trip

Hybrid View

Taster

Montreal Trip

Headed to Montreal this weekend. Anyone have any experience with a good bourbon or whiskey bar? I checked out one called the Whisky Café but they look to be mostly focused on Scotch. In fact, their Bourbon selection is listed under the heading 'Whiskys From The World.' Bourbon doesn't even get it's own section. Also hoping nobody up there knows what the BTAC is and that there is plenty sitting on the shelves.

Enthusiast

Re: Montreal Trip

Quote Originally Posted by cnybrbnhntr View Post
    Headed to Montreal this weekend. Anyone have any experience with a good bourbon or whiskey bar? I checked out one called the Whisky Café but they look to be mostly focused on Scotch. In fact, their Bourbon selection is listed under the heading 'Whiskys From The World.' Bourbon doesn't even get it's own section. Also hoping nobody up there knows what the BTAC is and that there is plenty sitting on the shelves.
    Canadians aren't the country bumpkins our American cousins make us out to be.
    For a sense of what you are likely to find in local bars take a look at what is available at the provincial liquor monopoly: http://www.saq.com/content/SAQ/en/produits.html

The good news for you is that beer and wine is available in grocery/corner stores (spirits available only through saq).
    Last edited by portwood; 08-26-2013 at 10:44.

Taster

Perhaps I used the wrong emoticon. We travel up there precisely because Canadians aren't country bumpkins. It is the closest thing I'll get to a European city for a while. We go for the people and the culture. I have no allusions that there will be anything rare on the shelves - just trying to be funny.

Enthusiast

No worries. I saw the wink emoticon - but we're a bit sensitive when it comes to liquor monopolies and the relative lack of selection when it comes to American whiskey.

Have you been to Quebec City? More "european" than Montreal.

Enthusiast

I visited Montreal a year or so ago and had a fantastic time, so enjoy. I didn't look in the liquor stores, but I didn't find many restaurants with great bourbon selections. In one episode that has made it into our private lexicon of inside jokes, a waiter at a very high end steakhouse was listing the available bourbons, and couldn't remember "the really famous one". He came back to announce with great fanfare that they had "The Knob Creek".... But the Scotch selection is very good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hey Zeke, viz. SAQ on Ste. Catherine, I said it was a small selection and I meant, it was the best in Montreal that I've seen, not that it was better than anywhere outside Quebec.

As for the rest, that is a matter of opinion and of course you are entitled to yours, fair enough. I mentioned L'Ile Noir because it was relatively in the downtown core, I've been to some of the others you mentioned and didn't mean to exclude any.

I meant by 1950's for Mr. Steer, that the food was 50's, not the decor - Thousand Island Dressing, curly fries, and all. I've been eating it since the 1960's, so I remember..

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-27-2013 at 14:05.

Guru

Smoked ham, on rye of course.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Howdy!

Due to the government monopoly there are only four types of liquor stores here. What are called "SAQ Express" probably fewer than 2,000 skus, and open until 10 o'clock at night. "Classique" pretty much stand issue, generic liquor store with a little of everything. "SAQ Selection" take a Classique add in a bunch of fancy French wines. And then finally, "SAQ Signature." One in Montreal, another in Quebec City, which then adds in whatever the bureaucrats think is "high end." The one you referred to on Saint Catherine is the SAQ Signature here in Montreal.

If you (or anyone else) happens to visit, a very nice, but little known fact is that they will offer tastes of some of the whiskeys if you ask. Mostly with the ones that have green dots on the price tags, as those are "exclusives."

Enthusiast

we had the best charcuterie plate of our lives (and we've had a LOT) for brunch at a little butcher shop/cafe in the old quarter. If I remember right it was on Rue St. Paul and St. Francis Xavier St. ; within a block or so either way on St. Paul. Maybe Zeke knows the name. on whichever street, it was on the NE corner of the intersection. well worth a little looking. the sangria was nice too. bummer Queue de Cheval is closed, that was phenomenal (and the location of the incident i referenced above)

Apprentice

Howdy!

I can't think of a butcher shop/cafe that would fit the bill. At the corner of Saint Francois-Xavier and Saint Paul there is Santos, a tapas bar designed for people with more money than brains and Le Bourlingueur, an ersatz Alsatian restaurant that caters to tourists who are too hungry to consult a good guidebook.

However after looking at a map, I would bet dollars to doughnuts you are referring to La Villette on the corner of Saint Pierre and Saint Paul.

And next time you come to town, let me know in advance and I can make some other suggestions where to get awesome homemade charcuterie. There's lots of it around...