Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montreal Trip

Taster

Montreal Trip

Headed to Montreal this weekend. Anyone have any experience with a good bourbon or whiskey bar? I checked out one called the Whisky Café but they look to be mostly focused on Scotch. In fact, their Bourbon selection is listed under the heading 'Whiskys From The World.' Bourbon doesn't even get it's own section. Also hoping nobody up there knows what the BTAC is and that there is plenty sitting on the shelves.

Connoisseur

Re: Montreal Trip

Quote Originally Posted by cnybrbnhntr View Post
    Headed to Montreal this weekend. Anyone have any experience with a good bourbon or whiskey bar? I checked out one called the Whisky Café but they look to be mostly focused on Scotch. In fact, their Bourbon selection is listed under the heading 'Whiskys From The World.' Bourbon doesn't even get it's own section. Also hoping nobody up there knows what the BTAC is and that there is plenty sitting on the shelves.
    Canadians aren't the country bumpkins our American cousins make us out to be.
    For a sense of what you are likely to find in local bars take a look at what is available at the provincial liquor monopoly: http://www.saq.com/content/SAQ/en/produits.html

The good news for you is that beer and wine is available in grocery/corner stores (spirits available only through saq).
    Last edited by portwood; 08-26-2013 at 11:44.

Taster

Perhaps I used the wrong emoticon. We travel up there precisely because Canadians aren't country bumpkins. It is the closest thing I'll get to a European city for a while. We go for the people and the culture. I have no allusions that there will be anything rare on the shelves - just trying to be funny.

Connoisseur

No worries. I saw the wink emoticon - but we're a bit sensitive when it comes to liquor monopolies and the relative lack of selection when it comes to American whiskey.

Have you been to Quebec City? More "european" than Montreal.

Enthusiast

I visited Montreal a year or so ago and had a fantastic time, so enjoy. I didn't look in the liquor stores, but I didn't find many restaurants with great bourbon selections. In one episode that has made it into our private lexicon of inside jokes, a waiter at a very high end steakhouse was listing the available bourbons, and couldn't remember "the really famous one". He came back to announce with great fanfare that they had "The Knob Creek".... But the Scotch selection is very good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

On Ste. Catherine Street, across from a Trois Brasseurs brewpub, is the Societe des Alcool's high end store, you walk in to an enclosed mall to enter. (It's between Peel and St. Laurent, about mid-way, on the north side).

Very nice store and they have the best bourbon selection in Quebec. Usually there is just a handful of brands but often something interesting and the prices sometimes are pretty good.

Check out L'ile Noir, which is just a few minutes walk away, for a decent bourbon and great Scotch selection. (Google the name, it has a website, all-French I think but you can see the address, I think it is on President Kennedy Street or Ontario Street).

My suggestion also is to walk a little further north and have a beer at Benelux on Sherbrooke Street, it is on the north side, in the Parc Avenue (street) area. (Google Benelux brewpub in Montreal, easy to find). They have two locations but the original one on Sherbrooke is best. French-Canadian atmosphere, friendly (as all Quebec is) and great beer.

For 1950's-style burgers: Mr. Steer on Ste. Catherine again, there are a couple of locations, I like the one further to the west near Crescent Street, Mackay, Bishop, that area of downtown. Have a "No. 7", burger and frank and curly fries with a side salad (you must use the Thousand Island Dressing, it's traditional) - less than $10.00 I believe.

For Montreal smoked meat, Schwartz on St. Laurent is internationally known and one of the best pastrami-style sandwiches in the world. Their steaks are great too, rib steaks, on an 80 year old broiler. Reuben's on Ste. Catherine is pretty good too, but Schwartz is the gold standard.

For fine evening dining: steaks at Moishe's on St. Laurent, one of the best steaks in the world IMO and that of many. Still fairly reasonably priced, considering.

The hip area is Mile End - just ask when there about it, and you have a huge restaurant choice, all prices. Also, some restaurants in Montreal allow bring-your-own-wine, ask again at hotel about where.

For the steamed hot dogs I mentioned some time ago: Montreal Pool Room, on St. Laurent just below Set. Catherine. Two dogs "all-dressed", fries and have a French Canadian specialty, spruce beer (bier d'epinette, it's a soft drink). Also, the Lafleur chain is pretty good for the same kind of thing, but I like Montreal Pool Room. Couple of steamies in Montreal after brews at Benelux, now you're talkin'.

The night life area is called the Crescent Street Area, it is centred around the street of that name downtown. It doesn't get started until about 10:00 and can go to the very early A.M. Some of the older established places are Winnie's (Sir Winston Chuchill Pub), George's, a brewpub called Brutopia, and so on.

The Old Montreal area, about 10-15 minutes from the area I am primarily talking about, is great too. More French, great architecture from the original French and British eras. I wouldn't miss that area either. Finally, make sure you visit Mount Royal, go to the top for the views. I used to stride up the wooden staircase lickety split from McGill University which is perched on the south slope. And that was after half a deck of Export A plains but never mind.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-27-2013 at 05:55.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

BTAC is the big annual bicycle show in Montreal, I believe for the trade:

http://pedalmag.com/expocycle-return...ept-8-10-2013/

Gary

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    BTAC is the big annual bicycle show in Montreal, I believe for the trade:

http://pedalmag.com/expocycle-return...ept-8-10-2013/

Gary
    I am way too out of shape for that! Too much bourbon I suppose.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    On Ste. Catherine Street, across from a Trois Brasseurs brewpub, is the Societe des Alcool's high end store, you walk in to an enclosed mall to enter. (It's between Peel and St. Laurent, about mid-way, on the north side).

Very nice store and they have the best bourbon selection in Quebec. Usually there is just a handful of brands but often something interesting and the prices sometimes are pretty good.

Check out L'ile Noir, which is just a few minutes walk away, for a decent bourbon and great Scotch selection. (Google the name, it has a website, all-French I think but you can see the address, I think it is on President Kennedy Street or Ontario Street).

My suggestion also is to walk a little further north and have a beer at Benelux on Sherbrooke Street, it is on the north side, in the Parc Avenue (street) area. (Google Benelux brewpub in Montreal, easy to find). They have two locations but the original one on Sherbrooke is best. French-Canadian atmosphere, friendly (as all Quebec is) and great beer.

For 1950's-style burgers: Mr. Steer on Ste. Catherine again, there are a couple of locations, I like the one further to the west near Crescent Street, Mackay, Bishop, that area of downtown. Have a "No. 7", burger and frank and curly fries with a side salad (you must use the Thousand Island Dressing, it's traditional) - less than $10.00 I believe.

For Montreal smoked meat, Schwartz on St. Laurent is internationally known and one of the best pastrami-style sandwiches in the world. Their steaks are great too, rib steaks, on an 80 year old broiler. Reuben's on Ste. Catherine is pretty good too, but Schwartz is the gold standard.

For fine evening dining: steaks at Moishe's on St. Laurent, one of the best steaks in the world IMO and that of many. Still fairly reasonably priced, considering.

The hip area is Mile End - just ask when there about it, and you have a huge restaurant choice, all prices. Also, some restaurants in Montreal allow bring-your-own-wine, ask again at hotel about where.

For the steamed hot dogs I mentioned some time ago: Montreal Pool Room, on St. Laurent just below Set. Catherine. Two dogs "all-dressed", fries and have a French Canadian specialty, spruce beer (bier d'epinette, it's a soft drink). Also, the Lafleur chain is pretty good for the same kind of thing, but I like Montreal Pool Room. Couple of steamies in Montreal after brews at Benelux, now you're talkin'.

The night life area is called the Crescent Street Area, it is centred around the street of that name downtown. It doesn't get started until about 10:00 and can go to the very early A.M. Some of the older established places are Winnie's (Sir Winston Chuchill Pub), George's, a brewpub called Brutopia, and so on.

The Old Montreal area, about 10-15 minutes from the area I am primarily talking about, is great too. More French, great architecture from the original French and British eras. I wouldn't miss that area either. Finally, make sure you visit Mount Royal, go to the top for the views. I used to stride up the wooden staircase lickety split from McGill University which is perched on the south slope. And that was after half a deck of Export A plains but never mind.

Gary
    Fantastic suggestions. Thank you so much. We always hit Schwartz's whenever we go up. Unfortunately the restaurant we went to last time we were there is closed for repair - Queue De Cheval. Very fancy but you only live once. I will be trying out some of your suggestions for sure.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    No worries. I saw the wink emoticon - but we're a bit sensitive when it comes to liquor monopolies and the relative lack of selection when it comes to American whiskey.

Have you been to Quebec City? More "european" than Montreal.
    Havent been to Quebec City yet. Hoping to get there soon. I've heard exactly what you say - that it is a bit more European and French Canadian than Montreal. Thanks for the suggestion.