Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from Smyrna, GA

Hello All,

Bourbon enthusiast new to the area. I moved from DC a few months back and am really enjoying the bourbon selection and atmosphere in GA. I've been into bourbon for about a year now and never looked back.

Hope to get involved in some events and meet some cool people.

DP

Guru

Re: Hello from Smyrna, GA

Welcome from Marietta! This is a great forum, with even better members. What are some of your current "go to" pours?
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome from Marietta! This is a great forum, with even better members. What are some of your current "go to" pours?
    I don't know if I have a "go to" yet. I think I am still trying to find that 20-30 dollar bottle that wows me and I don't mind going through quickly. I was recommended the Lexington bourbon, which isn't bad at 20 bucks but not a go to. I checked out the Smyrna world of beverages and they had a Four Roses Single Barrel that they apparently picked out and had bottled for them. 30 bucks and I'd definitely buy it again.

But on the shelf at home I have Noah's Mill, Black Maple Hill (probably my favorite so far), Johnny Drum Private Stock, and then I have good ol Jim Beam, Ancient Age & Evan Williams. I went through a bottle of Willet Pot Still Reserve rather quickly and Blantons (which is much more expensive here than in DC).

One bourbon I wouldn't buy again and I thought was way overrated for the price was Basil Haydens. I was dissappointed at that price point.

How about yourself?

Guru

Hello DP welcome aboard. May I suggest the grown up versions of Basil Hayden, the originals as it were, Old Grand Dad BIB and 114 proof expressions. For a low price alternative that a lot of members enjoy try Very Old Barton, the 86, 90 or 100 proof bottlings.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

I agree about Basil (although even for less dough, don't think I would likely buy another). My go to at the moment is Elmer T Lee (private barrel pick that is outstanding). There's a store in Marietta that has one which is amazing (with tax just over $30). Four Roses Single Barrel (FRSB) for $30 is a great buy (and a great bourbon!) I mostly prefer bourbons with more rye in their mashbill (Old Grand-Dad 114 is an awesome pour for under $25 a bottle!)

For my money, there are a lot of solid pours for under $30, including OGD 114, ETL, Buffalo Trace (BT), OGD BIB, Evan Williams, Fighting Cock 6yr . . . ok, there are a lot. But everyone's taste varies. My recommendation is to buy what you can in 50 mL and 200 mL to try (besides saving money, it will save shelf space! Nothing like having a 750 mL bottle of something that's just 'meh'). Glad to have you on the forum!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Hello DP welcome aboard. May I suggest the grown up versions of Basil Hayden, the originals as it were, Old Grand Dad BIB and 114 proof expressions. For a low price alternative that a lot of members enjoy try Very Old Barton, the 86, 90 or 100 proof bottlings.
    I will definitely pick up a bottle of Very Old Barton next time I have a chance. I haven't come across the BIB before. I see it and Basil Haydens in general has a high rye content, which I hope wasn't why I didn't care for regular Basil Haydens. I'm just getting into the different grain signatures of whiskey so I'll have to try one of those you mentioned.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I agree about Basil (although even for less dough, don't think I would likely buy another). My go to at the moment is Elmer T Lee (private barrel pick that is outstanding). There's a store in Marietta that has one which is amazing (with tax just over $30). Four Roses Single Barrel (FRSB) for $30 is a great buy (and a great bourbon!) I mostly prefer bourbons with more rye in their mashbill (Old Grand-Dad 114 is an awesome pour for under $25 a bottle!)

For my money, there are a lot of solid pours for under $30, including OGD 114, ETL, Buffalo Trace (BT), OGD BIB, Evan Williams, Fighting Cock 6yr . . . ok, there are a lot. But everyone's taste varies. My recommendation is to buy what you can in 50 mL and 200 mL to try (besides saving money, it will save shelf space! Nothing like having a 750 mL bottle of something that's just 'meh'). Glad to have you on the forum!
    Thanks for the recommendations. If you could recommend me one high rye bourbon what would it be? I tend to like the sweeter bourbons, but I haven't tried that many bourbons with a lot of rye.

I have gotten into the 50ml "bottles" lately. I picked one up of Bookers to see if I would like it.. That's some strong stuff! But for 5 dollars, a 50ml ain't bad compared to what you'd pay to try it at a nice bar..

Disciple

Welcome to the forum from another GA member, we are on a roll. Won't give you and reccomendations but try them all

Guru

Greetings from the east side of town. Atlanta is certainly likely to be a different pace from DC! Although not sure I would call Atlanta all that "DpinGA"! Long ago got too many people from other places to retain the original character. Need to go to someplace like Valdosta for that to truly be accurate...

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Hello from GA! Just joined the forums myself recently. You will find the board to be full of very friendly and helpful people.