Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Brand new whiskey drinker here .....

Stayed away from it totally while the kids were growing up, and just drank a couple of glasses of wine every other year or so. Always planned to stock up when the kids left.

Well --- the kids have left.

So I'm stocking up.

I know very little about bourbon and started with Wild Turkey 81 (I thought I'd go with the milder WT before moving up). I actually thought WT 81 wasn't bad and I have since moved up to WT 101 and WT RB. All good stuff and I will never be going back to WT 81.

Other bourbons I have tried and are now part of my collection include:

- Makers Mark (smooth, easy to drink, smells great in the glass and has a nice caramel taste to it).
    - Jim Beam Black (inexpensive premium bourbon. Little more complex than the Makers Mark).
    - Woodford Reserve (a bit expensive for what I got out of it. Not sure I liked it better than JB Black).
    - Bulleit Frontier Whiskey (pretty rough around the edges. I like it).

Basically I discovered I definitely enjoy bourbon and am looking forward to trying out a bunch of them. I think next I'll get some Knob Creek or Jefferson. This website has been very helpful in learning about some of the more obscure bourbons and I am looking forward to your reviews on them.

I have also tried a little Tennessee whiskey:

- Jack Daniels Old no. 7 (liked it better than I thought it would).
    - Gentleman Jack (very smooth. I think I will always keep some of this on hand).

Thought what the heck, I'd give Scotch whisky and Irish whiskey a go and I have tried:

- Jameson Irish whiskey
    - Johnnie Walker Black Scotch
    - Macallan 12

Decent enough, but I do like bourbon (and Tennessee whiskey) better than the European stuff (so far).

My eldest son also drinks whiskey and he is more a fan of Scotch than bourbon, probably because the Scotch is a bit more mellow.

Anyway, glad to be aboard and plan to learn a lot from everyone on here.

Virtuoso

Re: Brand new whiskey drinker here .....

A lot of good energy coming from you. Keep up your journey. Welcome aboard!

Guru

Hey Dawg, welcome aboard. May I recommend Very Old Barton (which may not be available in your area) and Old Grand Dad (which surely is) as good examples of rye recipe Bourbons.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Hey Dawg, welcome aboard. May I recommend Very Old Barton (which may not be available in your area) and Old Grand Dad (which surely is) as good examples of rye recipe Bourbons.
    Why yes. Why yes, you may. I would encourage recommendations even. I think I've seen Old Grand Dad but was afraid to try it.

I won't be now. Much obliged. Don't think I've seen Very Old Barton.

Virtuoso

Brand new whiskey drinker here .....

Quote Originally Posted by PcolaDawg View Post
    - Makers Mark (smooth, easy to drink, smells great in the glass and has a nice caramel taste to it).
    - Jim Beam Black (inexpensive premium bourbon. Little more complex than the Makers Mark).
    - Woodford Reserve (a bit expensive for what I got out of it. Not sure I liked it better than JB Black).
    - Bulleit Frontier Whiskey (pretty rough around the edges. I like it).
    Based on these experiences, maybe try Old Weller Antique, Baker's, Old Forrester Signature, and Four Roses Single Barrel.

And OGD is a favorite around here for a reason. The Bottled in Bond and 114 are top contenders for value, and excellent in their own right.

Guru

Welcome to SB! I 2nd or 3rd squire and Yeti's recommendations on the Old Grand-Dad BIB or 114. Looks to me like you're going about it the right way - try diversity and find what you like (and if you like it all, it just makes the shopping easier!) As long as your having fun, you're doing it right
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Welcome, you're starting your journey the right way. Find what you like, try not to let the price tag influence the decision, then try to figure out why.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board, Dawg!!!
    Have fun here (you almost can't avoid it). Learning from your own experiences, with a tip or two from the knowledgeable folks here, will provide a lifelong journey towards Bourbon Nirvana (which is attained whenever you think it is, as often as you say, and from as many sources as you can find and like). I get there about three times a week; .....but that's just me.

Disciple

One of the hardest thing I had to overcome was to try the inexpensive bottles. Being a long time scotch drinker I thought if it wasn't expensive it couldn't be good.

Boy how wrong I was! To me some the finest Bourbons I've tried to date have been the bottom to middle shelf brands.

Welcome and enjoy your journey.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    One of the hardest thing I had to overcome was to try the inexpensive bottles. Being a long time scotch drinker I thought if it wasn't expensive it couldn't be good.

Boy how wrong I was! To me some the finest Bourbons I've tried to date have been the bottom to middle shelf brands.

Welcome and enjoy your journey.
    What he said. Price does NOT indicate quality when it comes to American whiskey. Welcome aboard, and have a great time here!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay