Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Newbie from SD

Newbie from SD

Glad to be a part of the forum. I have been building a bar at home and started that process about 5 years ago, primarily focused on single malt scotch. However, about 2 years ago, after going to a Jefferson's tasting, I was convinced of the error of my ways and have been leaning hard into bourbon (a bit into Irish and rye too). Over that time period, I have been lucky as a resident of a small state to be able to obtain without too much hastle or extra effort about 60 bourbons or so. Pappy is fine but quite frankly is overpriced for what is in the bottle. I would rather have AE cask strength any day of the week and twice on Sunday, among others. I love the Stagg Sr. and really enjoyed my first taste of Stagg Jr. WHW is fun and even though it was not made available this year in the midwest with the BTAC allocations (at least for IA, NE and SD), I was able to obtain the WHW, which I kindly nickname the closer. I am lucky enough to have made friends with some skilled liquor sales folks who like good bourbon. I just acquired but have not tried the Elijah Craig 12 cask strength, but as you can see, I tend to prefer the higher proofed bourbons. I have also been pleased with a few of the blends, like Forgiven and the Jefferson's Chef's Collaboration was really outstanding. My favorite standard pour right now is Noah's Mill. I just think that is a wonderful glass. Thanks for having me.

Guru

Re: Newbie from SD

Thanks for joining and welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard, LD.

Connoisseur

Welcome, Lawdog! Good to have you join.
    I too, have loved Noah's Mill, however the last couple bottles I scooped were less dynamic than all the previous ones. Maybe only a transient drop in quality? Hard to say. I know that KBD is pretty skilled at finding/hoarding good barrels; but, may be having a hard time getting ahold of the same sort of quality they've been able to get in the past. My fingers are crossed.
    ...And, I'm keen to taste what comes off their own still (Willett) in a few more years.

Virtuoso

Hello and welcome from another of the Michigan contingent.

Best regards, Tony

Disciple

Welcome from Georgia, Lawdog! Glad to have you! I'm also fond of Noah's Mill, despite it's NDP status.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins