Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

I'm Most Ashamed I've Never Tried...

Disclaimer: I hate to start a new thread again after starting one about top 5 pours I've had in the year since I started this obsession because I don't want to flood the board. However, this one has been on my mind for awhile and I'm very interested in seeing others' thoughts.

Fairly regularly I think about how I've not tried a lot of fairly commonplace pours, despite the fact that I check this site and others all day, wait in long lines for limited releases, and jeopardize my marriage almost weekly by coming home with big hauls. So I'm interested in others' confessions about things they should have tried but for some reason have not gotten around to it. For me it's:

Elmer T. Lee; and
    Any rye older than 6 years

If this doesn't interest anyone the mods can delete it.

Advanced Taster

Re: I'm Most Ashamed I've Never Tried...

Baby Saz, I have a bottle and have never tried it. For some reason I have no interest in it, I feel like I should with all the good reviews an fans but I just don't....

Virtuoso

It took me a couple of minutes, but I really hate to say that I have not yet tried the standard BT. It's a popular drink from a great distillery (as well as a standard home bar stock bourbon for many friends of mine). I can't explain how/why I haven't tried it, but I'm going to make it a point to check this one off the list this year. Speaking of the ETL, it is a nicely balanced bourbon at a reasonable price for a SB.

Disciple

I disagree with your premise. There's no shame in not having tried something. That takes a lot of time and money. There are a lot of whiskies to try!

Those are just bottles waiting to be tried down the road, not something to be ashamed of.

I am ashamed that I have never tried Old Crow Reserve.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I think it's a good idea for a thread - don't worry about overloading with new threads when you have an idea, it's a lot worse to page thru really long threads that may rehash the same thing over and over again.

Having said that (and no shame involved) - after 18 months of bourbon interest, every bottle I've opened has been a new expression and I still have many new expressions to try yet [sitting in my cabinet, no less]. Regretfully(?), I'm just not a heavy imbiber. On the flip side, I've bought a lot on sale and haven't 'overpaid' for much.

Okay, maybe I'm ashamed I haven't tried JB White yet, but that stuff never reaches a value price on sale around here (same for JD).
    Last edited by MauiSon; 08-28-2013 at 22:34.

Elijah craig 12, my local store has done 2 barrel picks of it so i have never bought a general release bottle.

-Elmer T. Lee (Would LOVE to try this but I haven't seen it in any of the liquor stores I frequent here in NY state)
    -ANY Rye (Give me some time, I just started getting back into drinking spirits)
    -Jameson (I know it's not a bourbon or even American whiskey and I don't even really want to try it but it's pretty ubiquitous so I thought I would mention it)

Virtuoso

I kind of pompously thought there wasn't anything on my list as I've really been doing a lot of "research" in the past few years. I do have two that I can think of AAA and WTR101. I have both in the cabinet, but with so many open bottles I've left them to linger.

Enthusiast

I've not tried Blantons Gold - fortunately for me it will be at the BT Whisky Live stand tomorrow night to try. ))

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I disagree with your premise. There's no shame in not having tried something. That takes a lot of time and money. There are a lot of whiskies to try!

Those are just bottles waiting to be tried down the road, not something to be ashamed of.

I am ashamed that I have never tried Old Crow Reserve.
    You know, that's my outlook half the time. Can't kick yourself when there are so many options. The other half of the time I get almost embarrassed having a bunker full of limited releases and rare dusty bottles when I haven't even put in my dues with the regular stuff.