Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Why no 10 year Rittenhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyobsessive View Post
    Sounds pretty good, but at an average of 20% rye and 5 years (please correct me if I'm wrong), I'm not sure it exactly fits the aged, rye whiskey bill. . . . Really, I'm just sad that we are entering a older rye drought.
    Grand Dad 114 has traditionally been around 8 years old and the mash bill is about 30% rye, but no, it would not be the same which is why I said close, more in the nature of suggesting a flavor profile.

Other than WT, Beam/Overholt, HH brands and Van Winkle Old Time I don't recall any other American Ryes on local shelves in years past and certainly no old ones until Sazerac 18 made it's debut.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

+1 vote for RittBiB10yr/18yr bottlings to supplement their 21yr/23yr/25yr lineup.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Why no 10 year Rittenhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    You guys are greedy. I'd settle for a 10 year old BiB. Hell, an 8 year old BiB. That goes for bourbon, too.
    I'm not biting unless it's barrel-proof, non chill-filtered, comes with a mail-in rebate, and is sold with a little 50 ml sampler of the 21 yr. dangling around the neck.

Guru

Give a bunch of Bourbon Geeks an inch and they'll take . . .

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Give a bunch of Bourbon Geeks an inch and they'll take . . .
    The whole barrel.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Grand Dad 114 has traditionally been around 8 years old and the mash bill is about 30% rye, but no, it would not be the same which is why I said close, more in the nature of suggesting a flavor profile.

Other than WT, Beam/Overholt, HH brands and Van Winkle Old Time I don't recall any other American Ryes on local shelves in years past and certainly no old ones until Sazerac 18 made it's debut.
    Fair enough, but as I just found out that the last bottle of ECBP I ordered (and had delivered to my brother's house) was "accidentally" opened during a party, I'll not be able to try it out after all...

In any case, the ryes whose loss I'm bemoaning are pretty much just the Medley and CoK stuff we find in VWFRR, Saz18, Vintage 21/23, Black Maple 18/23, Hirsch 13/21/22/25, Willet Single Barrel's etc (which I guess really does amount to 2 basic ryes under a lot of labels). They used to be semi-affordable (VWFRR was 40ish? I think) and now they are either gone or on BX for hundreds of dollars.

Guru

Yeah, that rye supply got spread pretty thin.

Connoisseur

All I wanted was a new label on the BIB (I think it's BY FAR the ugliest, most out-dated label out there. It looks like mid-90's MS-PAINT artwork...) but the thought of a 10 year old release really ups the stakes!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Why no 10 year Rittenhouse?

[QUOTE=Yeti;365207]All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break 'em for nobody.

Great line. Great movie. I'm in the same camp as most everyone else. I would love to have some Ritt at 10 -15 years and BP. There's just something about a mature rye at BP. Makes me thirsty.

All I wanted was a new label on the BIB (I think it's BY FAR the ugliest, most out-dated label out there. It looks like mid-90's MS-PAINT artwork...) but the thought of a 10 year old release really ups the stakes!
    Dear God you are correct. That label is terrifying. But I think it throws people off who care too much about these things: they buy Templeton and Ritt stays cheap.