Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Filson Bourbon Academy

With Jim's permission, I am going to take time here to tell you about my latest project. I have a new position at the Filson Historical Society as their official 'Bourbon Historian". Part of my job is to use Bourbon related events to get the word out about the filson and raise a few funds while doing so. I have been doing an 8 hour course called the "Filson Bourbon Academy" since 2009 and now I am going to be taking the class on the road to other cities. I will be at the Columbia Yacht Club in Chicago on September 24 and the Century Bar in Dayton, Ohio on October 19. In November I am doing an Academy at the Filson on November 2 and at the Miller House in Owensboro, Ky. on the 23rd. Here is a link to the Filson website for anyone interested in finding out more information about these classes: http://filsonhistorical.org/the-filson-bourbon-academy/

I am looking to add St. Louis and Washington D.C. to the list by the end of the year. Next year I am talking to people and plan on going to New York, Lexington, Northern Kentucky, Seattle, Grand Rapids and indianapolis as well. If you would like to see me bring the class to your city, please contact me and we can talk.

Mike Veach

Guru

Re: Filson Bourbon Academy

If you make it to Atlanta or Tallahassee I might show up.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Squire,
    Both cities are on my list. If you know a place that would like to host an Academy in those cities, let me know.

Mike Veach

Guru

Good Mike, I'm hoping some of the members in those respective cities will chime in.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Even though Mike didn't ask for any testimonials, I going to pipe up with one... myself and Dale (NeoTexan) drove down from Indy to the Filson 4 weeks in a row to attend one of the early presentations of this course (where Mike did it in 4 2 hour sessions instead of the all day session). We even put up with MAJOR traffic jams trying to cross the river because one of the bridges were closed. Dale even had to put up with riding in the Smart car one week (you should have seen the looks whenever we stopped and the 2 of us - big guys - got out of the car....most people seemed to be thinking "when are the rest of the clowns coming out". Even with all of these tribulations, I have to say it was a very worthwhile experience. While I always enjoy listening to knowledgeable folks talk about bourbon (and had talked with Mike in the past), hearing this information in a well organized presentation helped put things together for me in a way where I may have actually retained some of the information. I really recommend his class to anyone who has the opportunity to attend.

Connoisseur

Thanks Tom for the endorsement. I need to get you and dale the Filson Bourbon Academy Glencairn glass that the student receive now.
    Mike Veach

Disciple

I would love to attend if you make it to DC. It's a few hours away for me, but I'm sure it's worth it.

Connoisseur

SMOWK, I am trying to get to D.C. on December 14. I think I have a place to host it but will not know for sure until next month. I hope to see you there.
    Mike Veach

The Voshole

Having gone to Mike's presentation last year in Chicago, I have to echo Tom's comments. All SBer's should make a point of attending his class if he's in your area.... you'll be glad you did. Mike does a great job in telling the history of bourbon and leads you in some interesting tasting exercises. It's a lot of fun and well worth your time.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Connoisseur

I was excited to see you're going to be in Dayton, Mike. Until I saw the date, as I will be in Raleigh for a wedding.

I will watch the schedule, for future dates and cities close to me.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...