Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Filson Bourbon Academy

Phil T, I am also hoping to work with Molly Wellmann to do the Academy in one of her Northern Kentucky Bars early next year. Vosgar, I am doing the class again on September 24 in Chicago. I hope to get a chance to meet up with some "Alumni" while I am town.
    Mike Veach

Connoisseur

Mike, please PM your email address to me. I have a large retailer in Indy who would like to talk to you about hosting your roadshow.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

Road show? You are talking about Professor Veach's Traveling Bourbon Extravaganza aren't you?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

One and the same.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Message sent. I look forward to coming to Indianapolis in the near future. I appreciate the help in finding a location.
    Mike Veach

Connoisseur

Just so people have a better idea as to what the class is all about, here is the agenda for the eight hour class:
    Filson Bourbon Academy
    The Filson Bourbon Academy is an eight hour class about Bourbon. Attendees will learn about the heritage of Bourbon Whiskey and have the chance to taste several different styles of Bourbon and other American Whiskeys.
    The class will run from 9am to 5pm.
    Agenda
    Session one: The origins of Bourbon Whiskey:
    Early distillers and the whiskey rebellion and the whiskey tax. The trade with New Orleans and the creation of Bourbon Whiskey.

Session two: Tasting Bourbon:
    The six sources of flavor of Bourbon and a Flavor wheel. Comparing a traditional Bourbon made with rye and a “wheated “ Bourbon.

Session three: 19th century Bourbon:
    The early Bourbon makers including, James C. Crow and his contributions. The Civil War and the return of the excise tax. The industrial revolution and distilling. E H Taylor, Jr., George Garvin Brown and the marketing of Bourbon. The “Whiskey Ring” scandal. Rectifiers and the Bottled-in-Bond Act 1897.

Session four: Tasting Tennessee Whiskey and Rye:
    How Tennessee whiskey differs from Bourbon and the “Lincoln County Process”. How rye whiskey differs from Bourbon and rye styles such as Maryland rye and Monongahela rye.

Lunch Break

Session five: Early 20th century Bourbon and prohibition:
    The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 and the Taft Decision. Prohibition’s origin and the Anti-saloon League. Doing business during prohibition and the “Medicinal” trade. George Remus and other prohibition bootleggers. The repeal of prohibition.

Session six: Tasting Single Barrel and Small Batch Bourbons:
    Defining these categories of Bourbon. Introducing a “craft Bourbon” from artisanal distillers.

Session seven: Post prohibition to present:
    The self regulation of the industry and the government regulations. The Great Depression and World War II. The boom days of the19 50s and the decline of the 1970s. The modern era of super premium Bourbons and the computer age. Alookat Bourbon of today.

Session eight: Blind tasting and graduation
    A blind tasting where the students apply what they have learned. After the blind tasting, students are presented with a certificate of graduation.

Besides the certificate showing that they completed the class, students are eligible with a STAR certification to become a “Official Bartender of the Bourbon Trail”. Students are also given a Glencairn whiskey tasting glass and a booklet of sources to take home with them.

Mike Veach

Connoisseur

Any chance of making it out to Hawaii for a class?
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Connoisseur

I would love to come to Hawaii, but i am afraid the cost would make the ticket price very high, so unless I find a sponsor to help pay expenses I don't see it happening. with that said. I will not rule it out completely.
    Mike Veach

Connoisseur

I kinda expected that to be the case. I have a friend that works in the wholesale trade so will have him make some inquiries. Will pm you if I hear any good news.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Connoisseur

This is not a Filson Bourbon Academy, but the Filson is doing an event that people here might be interested in called the "Filson Bourbon Challenge". It is a blind tasting of 5 Bourbons and the person who gets the most correct wins a bottle of Pappy. Julian and Preston, along with Joy Perrine are going to be the judges for the contest. The event takes place at the Filosn on October 8 and there are still many seats available if you are interested.\

Mike Veach