Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hope No One is Tired of GA folks...Hi from Powder Springs

Hey guys. I've noticed that there are a bunch of new member here from GA so I hope I'm not wearing out our welcome! I'm from Powder Springs, but am finishing up my last semester of college in Atlanta (hallelujah!).

Anyways, Ive just got into the bourbon thing this past year and I don't know a whole lot about different recipes, profiles, mash bills, etc. So far I have tried MM, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Evan Williams Single Barrel 2003. I have enjoyed all of these except Woodfords (so does that imply that I might not like bourbons similar to Woodford?)

I am exciting about trying more, and different types of bourbons. I don't think any of the above of rye-based so maybe I should pick one up to try. If y'all can recommend me anything new based on the ones I have already had, that would be greatly appreciated!! I've been thinking of trying an ETL, or a Four Roses, or maybe the W.L. Weller SR (its like $10 here)??

I dont really know what I am getting into, but I am excited for the journey that is bourbon tasting! Everyone here seems really friendly and knowledgeable.

Guru

Re: Hope No One is Tired of GA folks...Hi from Powder Springs

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye09 View Post
    Hey guys. I've noticed that there are a bunch of new member here from GA so I hope I'm not wearing out our welcome! I'm from Powder Springs, but am finishing up my last semester of college in Atlanta (hallelujah!).

Anyways, Ive just got into the bourbon thing this past year and I don't know a whole lot about different recipes, profiles, mash bills, etc. So far I have tried MM, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Evan Williams Single Barrel 2003. I have enjoyed all of these except Woodfords (so does that imply that I might not like bourbons similar to Woodford?)

I am exciting about trying more, and different types of bourbons. I don't think any of the above of rye-based so maybe I should pick one up to try. If y'all can recommend me anything new based on the ones I have already had, that would be greatly appreciated!! I've been thinking of trying an ETL, or a Four Roses, or maybe the W.L. Weller SR (its like $10 here)??

I dont really know what I am getting into, but I am excited for the journey that is bourbon tasting! Everyone here seems really friendly and knowledgeable.
    I think we can squeeze a few more in. Welcome aboard!

Three of the four you noted are bourbons with a rye "flavored" mashbill. Only the MM is a wheater. ETL is a rye based bourbon with a slightly higher rye mashbill than Buffalo Trace while Four Roses makes only rye based bourbon that generally have more rye than the Buffalo Trace rye based bourbons (and some mighty fine ones at that!).

The Weller SR is from the wheater side of the Buffalo Trace distilery. If you want to try another reasonably priced wheater in addition to the Weller SR you can try Larceny (from Heaven Hill which also makes the rye based Evan Williams and many, many others) or the siblings of the Weller SR which are Old Weller Antique (OWA) and Weller 12. None of those are likely to break the bank but all are good places to start.

The Whiskey Tree can be a helpful resource for what is what.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 08-25-2013 at 16:13.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Thanks! I kind of feel like an idiot thinking that none of them were rye-based but hey, I'm here to learn...thanks for the info!

Guru

Hey DeadEye, welcome aboard. Mash bills are a subject we like to discuss here but there are a number of other factors in the production of Bourbon that affect the flavor. For instance I find Barton to have a more rye forward flavor than some other brands that contain as much or more rye in the mash bill. In the final analysis I think taste is our best guideline.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Welcome DeadEye! Taste is always the final deciding factor for me (well - and price of course!) but mashbills, age, distillery, etc can all help with some direction. I'd recommend picking up 50 mL and 200 mL bottles - pretty much anything you can find that you haven't tried, and taste those. Cheaper way of finding what you like and more importantly - what you don't like (I say more importantly because having a full sized bottle of something you don't like can be an expensive mistake!) You may not find that you only like higher-rye bourbons (many of us have some preference for one over the other, but I'd say few stay strictly with one over the other). I'm also more likely to enjoy a rye bourbon than a wheater, but I love me some Old Weller Antique 107. You may want to try some Barton or Old Grand-Dad, which are both high-rye bourbons. Look forward to your posts!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    You may not find that you only like higher-rye bourbons (many of us have some preference for one over the other, but I'd say few stay strictly with one over the other).
    We the few, the proud, the stubborn.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the Board, Deadeye! The more the merrier.
    Have fun here. I'll try to spot your posts.
    If you see anything from Darryld, don't believe any of the BS he tells about his Dad.
    His Dad is actually a fine fellow indeed.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the boards! It looks like the GA contingent is getting stronger by the day.

Connoisseur

Welcome, DeadEye! Plenty to learn here and great fellowship. Looking forward to meeting you.

We have reached our limit of UGA fans, though. Hope that doesn't affect your posting status.

Haha, I am about to graduate from Georgia Tech, so anything that limits the presence of UGA fans is ok by me! Haha, kidding

Thanks for the warm welcome and info, guys!