Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

What Next On My Bourbon Travels?

Hello All,

I got introduced to bourbon at a whiskey house in town I went to with a friend had a bit of an auction for bottles and what have you. I went home with a bottle of Makers 46. It's hard to compare it with others but I found it to be very spicy! Didn't really taste smooth (not like I have much reference)

So I've been buying from this whiskey house but besides Buffalo Trace, which I enjoyed a bit but not as much as the Makers 46.

Problem is, I'm in a small town, and our liquor store basically only has basics. They offer to order a case of whatever in, but it's hard for me to say what I want when there's no bottles to try first.

One friend recommended Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Says it's his favourite bourbon. Has anyone tried this and can say how it compares to the Makers 46?

Also, if you have any recommendations you feel would be great, feel free to throw them out. Like I said it's hard when the only way you can try something is by having your liquor supplier order it in for you, so any help would be great!

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Guru

Re: What Next On My Bourbon Travels?

Good morning TP welcome aboard. Both Makers 46 and Devil's Cut are side streams to the main channel and neither would be on my list of first recommendations. I would be happy though to help you select from those that are available in your town. A mention of what part of the Country you reside might get suggestions from members of other shopping places near to where you live.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Welcome to SB! I'll assume that by the basics they have Makers Mark and Evan Williams (black label). I'd try both of those. Makers Mark should be a tad more mellow than Makers 46. Both are wheated bourbons, and typically more mellow than a standard rye-recipe bourbon. Evan Williams won't be as smooth, but I think is a solid benchmark.

I have tried Devil's Cut, and if you find Makers 46 to be spicy, Devil's Cut would be significantly more so (in my opinion). I personally don't care much for Devil's Cut - it is a nice bourbon, but for the money I'd grab for something else. It will have more wood/char in the profile than the M46 for sure.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

I like the Makers 46 I think the Devils cut taste like a dirty sock. I'm very fond of Wild Turkey 101 and Wild Turkey Rare Breed but the WTRB is 108 proof. That might be a bit much if you're just getting started. I know the feeling of having a limited selection in the home town store. They may have some Old Grad Dad Bottled In Bond orange top don't get the dark top 86/80 proof that's not the BIB. They could have Knob Creek or Jim Beam 8 yr old Black label it's pretty decent. Those are just some I can think of off the top of my head. I forgot welcome to the site and come join us in chat some time the link is in the lower left hand side of your screen.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 08-30-2013 at 08:13.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the forum, TP. Glad to have you here. You'll learn alot and certainly get tips about what others like, and don't care for. If any brands are in your area in the smaller sizes, you can save the expenditure of a 750 and get a taste or two. You'll eventually come to the understanding that 'the journey IS the destination', as far Bourbons. Have fun finding out the nuances that you find appealing and those you don't care for. If it takes you months, good!... If it takes years; even better!
    Where do you reside?

Novice

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

A special shout out to p_elliot. I just picked up a bottle of Knob Creek. It's good! I want to try more, and like you say Richnimrod it's about the journey so I'm looking forward to further figuring out my tastes.

I'll edit my profile, but I live in Princeton, British Columbia. 4 hours east of Vancouver up here in Canada.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerUp View Post
    I'll edit my profile, but I live in Princeton, British Columbia. 4 hours east of Vancouver up here in Canada.
    My wife has a longtime 'BFF' gal who moved from Montreal to Osoyoos (I probably misspelled that, I know) to grow grapes and sell the wine. The pix she's sent show a gorgeous area for sure. Not too far from you, eh? We're hoping to get out there sometime in the next few years; but it's a long way from Detroit.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    My wife has a longtime 'BFF' gal who moved from Montreal to Osoyoos (I probably misspelled that, I know) to grow grapes and sell the wine. The pix she's sent show a gorgeous area for sure. Not too far from you, eh? We're hoping to get out there sometime in the next few years; but it's a long way from Detroit.
    Yeah Richnimrod; I was born and raised in the city; but have spent most of my adult life up here. It's all goregous, and even though there's not too many restaurants, shops, and so on; It's a great place to enjoy nature for what it is. Drinking good bourbon along the way of course!