Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Kickoff Weekend. Tailgating Drink of Choice?

Little redundant with the what you drinking thread, but special occasions and such.

With tomorrow being the start of college football season for most of us, and you NFL fans only having to wait another week whats your gameday drink of choice?

I'm thinking with the warm weather and an early kickoff for my alma mater FRYL is going to be the go to for me, but I might make a last minute audible to OWA.

Cheers all.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Kickoff Weekend. Tailgating Drink of Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Little redundant with the what you drinking thread, but special occasions and such.

With tomorrow being the start of college football season for most of us, and you NFL fans only having to wait another week whats your gameday drink of choice?

I'm thinking with the warm weather and an early kickoff for my alma mater FRYL is going to be the go to for me, but I might make a last minute audible to OWA.

Cheers all.
    For many years now, it's been Fighting Cock for me. Goes with College Football like Peas n Carrots...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Football = 4R SB. My boys and I have been known to destroy an entire bottle in a day.

Virtuoso

I am trying this over the football weekend. Bobby Flay's sparkling bourbon lemonade. Had it at Josh's awesome party last weekend.

Ingredients
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 large lemons)
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice (1 large orange)
    4 cups club soda, chilled
    Lemon slices (about 4 large lemons)
    Orange slices (1 large orange)
    1 bunch fresh mint sprigs, plus more for garnish
    Crushed ice
    6 shots bourbon
    Directions
    Combine 1 1/2 cups water and sugar in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Cool the simply syrup completely. This simple syrup can be made 1 week in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.

Combine the simple syrup, lemon juice and orange juice in a pitcher. Mix in the club soda. Add the lemon slices, orange slices and mint.

Fill glasses with crushed ice. Add 1 shot bourbon to each glass and fill to the top with the sparkling lemonade. Garnish each glass with mint.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    This simple syrup can be made 1 week in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator
    It lasts a lot longer than that, at least a month and that's if your fridge is a bit on the warm side... I keep mine in an old olive jar, im classy like that

When I am not enjoying a cold beer during a game, a nice light refresher is taking a lower proof, lower shelf bourbon and adding a good ginger ale to it. For my evening sippers at home I am becoming a BIB nut but if you are like me, you might have some lower proof bourbons around that were gifted or too good of a sale to pass up.

Disciple

Bulleit - more tradition than anything else. I also used to bring a case of Yeungling for a late October game that was preceded by my annual trip to Pittsburgh.

Advanced Taster

If its all day football I dont drink bourbon until evening time. I start with beer. Nothing too heavy, something like fat tire. As the day wears on Ill go to even and ginger or soda. Night cap with SB blend or 4Rsmb.

Virtuoso

Game day ritual consists of a morning bloody Mary (or two) before moving onto bourbon throughout the game. Tailgate/stadium bourbon is usually a high proof WT or standard BIB offering, as many are bringing (and drinking) any bottle opened is usually going to be quickly emptied.

Advanced Taster

Was Old Charter 12 in Iowa City on Saturday. Great bourbon, bad game.