Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: palate; putting words to it..

Yes, for the time being.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

If you taste something in it good for you if not no harm. Parker Beam said " If your bourbon taste anything like other than bourbon there is something wrong with your bourbon"
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    If you taste something in it good for you if not no harm. Parker Beam said " If your bourbon taste anything like other than bourbon there is something wrong with your bourbon"
    Can't argue with that! When I see reviews with 10+ descriptors I can't help but laugh a little. If you try hard enough you can detect just about anything you want in a good bourbon, but it should always taste like bourbon. That is caramel, vanilla, some wood usually and then maybe some other more finite flavors depending on the bourbon.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

palate; putting words to it..

Quote Originally Posted by toddinjax View Post
    Can one train their palate to ascertain such fleeting aromas or is it something you're born and live with?
    I approach translating sensual experience to words as more art than science and I have to engage my imagination to find descriptions that feel most accurate to me in the moment. It takes focus to hone in on the specifics of a whiskey and sometimes I can enjoy it perfectly well enough without doing that work.

In terms of training your palate, I think that just comes with tasting different things. The training comes in with translating, so the more you sit down and take notes on what you're drinking, the more you will find you're able to take a stab at expressing the flavors and overall experience of drinking a particular whiskey in words. The only wrong answers are ones that don't feel right to you.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

like anything else, it's training, which just comes with experience. no shame in not sensing what somebody else does.

as for training, hit the spices, as in cruise a great spice shop if you have access to one. Im a bit partial to Penzeys myself.

Think cinnamon is all the same? pop the jar lids on what they have in store, and experience the wonder.

It's great learning, and a good place to pick up some essentials for killer rub!

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Im a bit partial to Penzeys myself.

Think cinnamon is all the same? pop the jar lids on what they have in store, and experience the wonder.

B

good thought. and, its the only place ive ever been able to find ground sumac.

I find that I can taste many different things that I cannot put words to. I struggle to pull the tastes and aromas out of the conglomerate that is BOURBON. I sometimes succeed, mostly fail, but always enjoy the bourbon experience.