Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: So my brother-in-law drinks moonshine ....

I agree, Mellow Corn might be a nice place to start. Really anything that says "bottled in bond" on the label I recommend. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but Rebel Yell doesn't seem to get much flavor from the barrel. Maybe a fan of un aged whiskey would like it. Also, sometimes you can find un aged white whiskey from the major distilleries. They call it white dog.

Virtuoso

Hmmm............ I kinda like "shine", myself I get it regularly from a few people that "aquire" it every now and then. One of those is actually quite good all the time, and the others are enjoyable in their own way, just not as consistent with the flavor profile.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I thought it was more about the cuts to avoid the methanol in the heads - I'm sure running it through a radiator probably isn't best for you either, but I thought it was the methanol = blindness thing.
    That was my understanding also.

Enthusiast

Is most of the shine you gentlemen acquire corn based? I know that's what's usual but I've had a sample or two from friends recently, one was terrible and just tasted like kerosene, but the other had a very distinctive oatmeal character, wondering if that old boy raided a different aisle at the feed store :-)

Virtuoso

All the stuff I get is corn based. The oatmeal sounds interesting.

Guru

Probably sugar based with some corn meal for flavor.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

If you go to the hospital because you have ingested methanol, guess what they will do...

They'll give you ethanol, because that triggers your body to produce the enzymes that detoxify ethanol, which are actually pretty good at detoxifying methanol. So if you drink methanol-contaminated moonshine, you've also drunk the antidote, unless the moonshiner REALLY screwed up and made predominantly methanol from a HUGE percentage of sticks and stems and crap in his mash.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Virtuoso

Given my limited (ahem) experience most really inexpensive backyard shine is made from sugar. Some N. Ga product I have tasted was obviously corn based and tasted a lot like the corn whiskey you can buy, but it cost less. Also while I have been told "about 100 proof" several times by several different suppliers my tasternator tells me it's usually much less.
    OGD 114 might just turn his face inside out if he is used to lower proof stuff that he thinks is 100.

The Corn Whiskey recommendation is a good one as is something like Weller 12 or perhaps Ancient Age 80 proof.
    Last edited by sailor22; 09-10-2013 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Is most of the shine you gentlemen acquire corn based? I know that's what's usual but I've had a sample or two from friends recently, one was terrible and just tasted like kerosene, but the other had a very distinctive oatmeal character, wondering if that old boy raided a different aisle at the feed store :-)
    Most of the stuff we get in Virginia and North Carolina is corn and sugar based although I have a connection that makes it out of potatoes and its quite good with peaches added or made into Apple Pie

Guru

Got a SB buddy w access to some damned fine sorghum based moonshine. Think we talked him into bringing it to the KBF. It's really nice stuff.