Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Diageo Special Releases

On the more reasonable side of the pricing scale, anyone try the Distiller's Edition releases for this year?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    On the more reasonable side of the pricing scale, anyone try the Distiller's Edition releases for this year?
    I haven't seen them at my normal spots but I buy the Lag 12 and DE each year. Can anyone vouch for CI or Tali DE over the regular 12 and 10 releases?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I haven't seen them at my normal spots but I buy the Lag 12 and DE each year. Can anyone vouch for CI or Tali DE over the regular 12 and 10 releases?
    I like the Talisker DE over the 10 and have at least three different DE years in the house that I have sought out. I think my most recent one is the TD-S:50A from 2012. I like the 10 as well but I happily admit to being a fan of a sherry finish as a general rule. I also liked the new slightly peater Storm but of course like most things it seems too expensive for what it is and so it won't likely be a regular buy. Instead I look for older bottles of 10, 18 and DE still at something close to the older price point when I can find it. Bought about 8 gift packs of 200ml 10, 18 and an older DE from 2005 (TD-S:5NZ 1992/2005) that is a bit older than the current DE's that will keep me busy for awhile.

There is also a Talisker "Dark Storm" which is retail travel only and has gotten some good reviews. Of course my only recent international travel was to Peru which is too much of a backwater country to have something new like this available. I would probably give it a try if I saw it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Not to be overly picky, but the distiller's editions are not considered part of Diageo's Special Releases range; they are part of their core portfolio.

As to the questions, I am sure the Lagavulin DE will be good this year - it always is with that balance of peat and sherry. I normally cannot stand PX sherry, but the Lagavulin distillate holds up well against the (usually) cloying sweetness. The Talisker is usually not too bad either and uses a bit drier sherry. Neither are a daily dram, but they are a nice change of pace on two profiles I very much enjoy.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-12-2013 at 08:35.

Connoisseur

I'm not a fan of the Talisker DE. I went to a tasting last year that had the regular and DE versions of Oban, Lagavulin, Talisker and Dalwhinnie. The Talisker was the only one that I felt was a step down from the core bottling. I posted some detailed tasting notes last year, but I'm having trouble finding them.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Talisker DE. I went to a tasting last year that had the regular and DE versions of Oban, Lagavulin, Talisker and Dalwhinnie. The Talisker was the only one that I felt was a step down from the core bottling. I posted some detailed tasting notes last year, but I'm having trouble finding them.
    Trey, I agree with you that the Talisker is a step down from the regular bottling; as much as I enjoy the Lagavulin, I would also put this in the same category. The profiles of these two distilleries are very enjoyable and the sherry finishing, while adding sweetness not normally found in these expressions, comes at the expense of complexity that the standard drams have.

Virtuoso

I get a baking chocolate note in the Lagavulin DE that I really enjoy, but I don't necessarily think it to be superior to the standard 16 year.

Advanced Taster

Does RMW ship to the USA again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

I'm trying to ignore the Diageo special releases - thx LB...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Does RMW ship to the USA again?
    They do, but they advise they cannot guarantee safe delivery and you do so at your own risk. If available, I would order from Master of Malt, The Whisky Exchange, or my personal favorite, Hedonism Wines (phenomenal service, this is who I buy from).