Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Powers Signature Release

Heard about this release recently. Just wondering has anyone tried it?

Disciple

Re: Powers Signature Release

Not yet, but its on my radar!

Thomas

Taster

Finally got a chance to try this. And I was not disappointed. Its a nice pour...or dram.

Sweet vanilla on the nose with some fruit and caramel.

On the palate it has the bracing entry that you'd expect with a 92 proof pot still. I add some water to calm it down a bit and it helps bring out layers of creamy caramel, vanilla, berries, a touch of orange and woody flavors. A nice long finish.

I paid around $38 for the bottle. Not cheap, but a bargain compared to Redbreast which starts around $65. And I enjoy it every bit as much. For those who savor Irish pot still I'd encourage you to give this one a go.
    Last edited by Merrymash Monk; 09-15-2013 at 19:19.

Guru

Just saw this in Atlanta and picked up a bottle. Got it for $32.99 which helped make my decision easier especially if it is as good as you say.

Powers Special.jpg

It has gotten some pretty decent reviews including one from John on Whisky Advocate. I look forward to giving it a try soon along side its older brother and some of the other pot stills out there.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

This isn't replacing the PJL is it?!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Nothing has been said about that and based on price differential very doubtful. Of course a price hike and even more scarcity for age stated PJL can be seen a coming.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Nothing has been said about that and based on price differential very doubtful. Of course a price hike and even more scarcity for age stated PJL can be seen a coming.
    Don't think that is the plan. Both should be available. Middleton seems to be expanding fairly quickly but not likely the price is going to go down on the PJL or anything else anytime soon.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Enthusiast

I have not seen this appear in the PacNW yet but I do see it online from one of my favorite retailers. I may have to pick up a bottle of the and PJL just to round out my irish collection.

Guru

Today a little H2H with Powers Signature Release, Powers John's Lane, Green Spot and the Masterson Barley whiskey thrown in just for fun.

The PSR was definitely a worthy addition to the Powers line and at the current price a great deal in my opinion. Not as heavy and lakes some of the spice of its big brother but good stuff in its own right. The bottle talks about green apples and that sounded a lot like Green Spot. Both are NAS that are probably under 10 years but the GS is 80 proof compared to the 92 proof the PSR weighs in with. GS was definitely the thinner and lighter whiskey. Even if it were readily available I would be inclined to go with the PSR.

The Masterson's Barley whiskey proved to be a very different beast. Totally different nose with a much more grassy scent that reminded me of walking into a barn full of stacks of grain in burlap sacks if that makes any sense. But in a good way!

I also expect the Masterson line is tailor made for blending to create ones own Franken-whiskey. I have no talent for that but would seem like a worthy endeavor.

Guru

Passed on this today. Was between it and Tullamore Phoenix. Couldn't decide and my cell reception in TPS always sucks for some reason, so no research to be done, there they stayed.