Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

What to buy in KY that can't be found in Ohio

Hi all,

New member here from Columbus.

I'm thinking of heading to The Party Source in KY tomorrow to pick up some bottles. Any recommendations on what to buy that I can't find here in Ohio? I've been there once before, but I felt a little overwhelmed by all the choices!

Thanks!

Enthusiast

Re: What to buy in KY that can't be found in Ohio

Not sure what the shelves look like in Ohio, but in New Mexico, there are few Bottled in Bond options (OGD and Rittenhouse to be exact), so I loaded up on a sample of every BIB I could find when i visited Louisville over the summer. I also grabbed single barrel stuff I couldn't find at home, some Ancient Ancient Age 10yr and a few barrel selects.

Hope that helps.

Connoisseur

I can relate, Bursell. I've only been once to the Party Source and found a ton of stuff not readily available in Michigan. I can't help with the 'Ohio' list, but I can say look at some of the Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof selections. I picked up a couple when I was there a few months ago, and both are excellent..

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bursell View Post
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of heading to The Party Source in KY tomorrow to pick up some bottles. Any recommendations on what to buy that I can't find here in Ohio? I've been there once before, but I felt a little overwhelmed by all the choices!

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum.

When I lived in Cbus and took my annual trip to TPS, at the top of my list was: Very Old Barton, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Ancient Ancient Age 10yr. Beyond that, I'll echo the others, BIB selections, esp Heaven Hill, and Barrel Proof selections. Oh yeah, just remembered Elmer T Lee too.

Before you leave the buckeye state, take one last walk through the state store just to get an idea of what is available and at what prices. There are lots of Heaven Hill offerings so its easy to get them mixed up. Also, I would buy a couple bottles at TPS, not because I couldn't get them in OH, but because they're cheaper at TPS just to help offset the travel cost.

Connoisseur

Hey, Buckeye! I get all of my Big Three (AAA, VOB, and OWA) in KY. In addition, you might look for some EW BIB or Old Heaven Hill BIB. Limited edition bourbons are theoretically available in KY but they tend to sell out within minutes of arrival. I'd like to try some EC BP but that seems unlikely to happen unless I visit a non-bourbon-drinking New England state where the stuff apparently just languishes on the shelves. "Overwhelmed by all the choices" is just one of the problems that state control makes sure you will never have.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bursell View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    I haven't been to Ohio but I just did a search at the Ohio ABC website for what is available in Ohio. If their website is accurate, not much!! Definitely would look at AAA 10 year and the KBD brands. Also perhaps such things as RHF and Henry Mckinna. Is Ohio really as bad as the official state website suggests?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Is Ohio really as bad as the official state website suggests?
    I remember it not being that bad. Not great, but not terrible.

Disciple

What to buy in KY that can't be found in Ohio

I'll echo the posts in favor of BIBs, AAA 10 year, and Four Roses barrel strength selections.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

I am in Ohio too and I have a friend pick me up stuff not available here when he visits family in Cincy. Most bottles that came to mind have been mentioned, but I would look at AA 10 year, Larceny, any of the Wellers, Rittenhouse, VOBarton, and any of the TPS special bottles (i.e. FR). Those are the bottles I have picked up at TPS or ordered online from Binny's.

Guru

I would also suggest you print out the Ohio ABC list and when you get to KY pick up what isn't on the list. I would concentrate on BIBs (especially age stated) and AAA 10 year.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.