Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from Edmonton

My wife and I developed a taste for Bourbon on a road trip through Kentucky this summer.
    We had the tours at Jim Beam and Corsair (my young daughers enjoyed the Corsair tour much more than the tour at Beam).
    We brought back to Canada bottles of KCSB, BH and Corsair, and are now wishing we had collected more.

I am learning a lot here and have enjoyed lurking for the last week. My wallet is very afraid.

Thanks.

Joe

Guru

Re: Hello from Edmonton

Hey Joe, welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Good Day Joe and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur

Welcome to 'the board' & to the Great American world of Bourbon, Joe!
    From a Red Wings fan who always loved watching those Oilers, especially back in the Gretzky days, eh?
    Have fun exploring 'the board' ...and the bottles you brought back.
    Let us know what you think of each, when you get a taste or two behind you.

Novice

Thanks for the welcome. I am learning more as I spend time browsing this board. I appreciate the knowledge that is being freely shared.
    I currently have open KC, EC12, MM and Kirkland to give me a variety of styles. I also have a Jim Beam Black, used for cooking and cocktails, which
    is either 6 years in Canada or without age stated. I have enjoyed each bourbon and and am trying to develop my palate.

I enjoy the hunt for bottles, but it can be a bit frustrating. I counted a score when I found two bottles of WT101 instead of the current Alberta selection of the 80,
    Would love to find some wheated products other than Rebel Yell or Wellers Special Reserve.

Joe

Advanced Taster

Welcome aboard Joe. Enjoy the ride. Take your time. There is a lot of great bourbon out there.

Enthusiast

Joe, welcome aboard, nice to see another canuck (er, I mean oiler) around here.
    Compared to the rest of us canucks you have it pretty good in Alberta when it comes to whisky.

Virtuoso

Welcome in sir. Happy to have you around. Anything else you been sippin'. Lots of good stuff out there. Don't be afraid to hit the bottom shelf. Some real gems there
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Novice

Everytime I visit Ontario or the LCBO site, Portwood, I am envious of what you have available. You are also closer to the border.

We don't really have a bottom shelf here, Restraurant Man. Vice tax has taken that from us. Under $25 for a fifth, there is only one option: Ezra Brooks.
    Pushing $30, we have JB, white and black, Jesse James, 4R yellow, Kentucky's Finest, and Buffalo Trace, but many of those are often above $30, depending on the store.
    And just to be clear, the Canadian and US dollars are pretty much equal. This means I have to drink carefully . . .but I am enjoying the journey.

And despite the names, I just cannot see myself picking up bottles of Kentucky's Finest or Jesse James.

Joe

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Donny D View Post
    Everytime I visit Ontario or the LCBO site, Portwood, I am envious of what you have available.
    Really? I must be looking at the wrong lcbo website.

All kidding aside, I think we have you beat on American whiskies but you have us beat on Scotch (esp single malts). Over the past year or two lcbo has been stocking more bourbon/rye - albeit at horrendous prices compared to our friends south of the border.