Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charbay S

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Charbay S

Seems like some Charbay S has just been released at 29 months. I am a huge fan of the original Pilsner Release II (have not had the I). I jumped on this as soon as I saw it available. There are some notes on the S on the LAWS website at a younger age, but I can't find anything about the 29 month old. I'm having second thoughts and am considering returning it (it's expensive). Just hoping someone has some tasting notes or experience with this stuff and can give me a feel for this release.

Enthusiast

Re: Charbay S

How much was it? Is this the same stuff as R5, or a different distillate?

Enthusiast

I should have put more info in my first post but i was making it from my phone. This is distilled from Bear Republic's Big Bear Black Stout instead of the IPA used for R5. It was spendy at $130. Of course if it's anything like the original hop flavored whiskey releases I'd be happy to spend that amount on it. I do have a vague memory of a taste of R5 being far too young but that was a "busy" night long ago. I think the current release of R5 is a little older than before as well.

Enthusiast

I like the R5, both the unaged and lightly aged versions. Very well distilled and interesting flavor! Shame I can't get it in Texas.

I'd be very interested in the S. I love the Big Bear stout

Enthusiast

Slightly offtopic but I picked up a bottle of Charbay II in NYC this past week. I have had the I and the 12yo, I'm excited to taste the intermediate version

Enthusiast

I love the II. There's a place around here that sells pours for under $20. No idea why they price it that cheap but it makes me happy. If it weren't so expensive I'd own multiples. I picked up my S today btw, and if I grow the stones to open soon I'll post my notes. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be disappointed for the money, but as they say, YOLO.

Enthusiast

Please post your thoughts.

On another note, I'd love to get a bottle of Charbay I. There were bottles on the shelf here in Dallas for years that I passed on, now they're all gone :'(

Enthusiast

I've been doing a little research and I found Charbay S online for $70. Could it be the same stuff, or is there more than one release? I don't see an age statement in the description on this site...

Enthusiast

Pretty sure there was a first release that was much younger. Mine came from K&l

Enthusiast

I'll shoot an email over to my friend at Charbay and see what he says