Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charbay S

Enthusiast

Re: Charbay S

I think I'm wrong about the multiple releases. The K&L email blast said it was "new" but the lot # on my bottle matches D&M's website that says it was a 2012 release. So I'm not too happy that I paid $60 more for it. That's ridiculous!

edit - Every review online says Charbay S is aged under 2 years, but K&L says theirs is 29 months. That's why I assumed this was a new release. Lot numbers are the same on all bottles according to pics posted on the various retailers and review pages. I have some emails out to try to figure out what the story is. Either K&L is wrong or different batches went out with identical labels :/.
    Last edited by compliance; 09-15-2013 at 21:31.

Enthusiast

Here's the word from Bryan at Chabay:

to answer your question, yes there is two different releases currently on the market. We sold a single barrel last year of the S to DnM in SF which they are almost out of, it was aged for 19 months and then cut to 99 proof. Our recent release was distilled in the same batch but aged for 29 months - in result a completely different product all together because of the time in barrel. So, although there is similarities between the two, lot number, same beer, distilled at the same time, same proof, the addition of 10 months in oak makes a huge difference.

Enthusiast

Well that's good to know, but they should at least put something on the bottle to identify which is which if the lot numbers are the same. My bottle is also 99 proof. I opened it and I think it's tasty. Definitely in in the Charbay hop whiskey family. I get lots of vanilla and some lemon. The marijuana note is there but not as much as release II. It may be psychosomatic but I think I do taste the stout, there are roasted grains in there. Other than other Charbay releases it reminds me of the Bruichladdich Bere Barley. I was worried that new make notes would overpower the flavor, but it doesn't. I'm sure it will get even better when its older, but it's very drinkable now.

There is a bottle of Charbay II near me that is available at $170. It sounds like if I can put together 170 bucks, I maybe ought to spring for it...

Enthusiast

The first release and second release were both $350 in East TN. Very few bottles made it here. My first batch bottles state 840 produced. The second release was higher but I'll have to check the bottles to know for sure (I think around 1400 but don't trust my memory) tim

Enthusiast

I have not seen the current lower proof release in this area. The origional releases were blistering. I may have to revisit them. tim

Enthusiast

I recently as able to try this and I was floored. The Charbay R5 was interesting but kinda one note - reminded me of a stale IPA. This one was incredible. Floral, citrus, chocolate, creamy, spicy, fruity....very, very complex. When I tasted it I thought it was 80 proof given how easy it went down, but this stuff was 99 proof! Blew me away. Very interesting whiskey.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMashBill View Post
    There is a bottle of Charbay II near me that is available at $170. It sounds like if I can put together 170 bucks, I maybe ought to spring for it...
    If you don't want it I'll take it

Enthusiast

$170 is a great price for Charbay II. Is that clearance? I'd buy it for sure.

I revisited the S tonight for the first time in a while and I think it's mellowing once opened. Still great but not quite what it was. Or the cask strength islay i just had before hand dulled my palette. Maybe it was that.

I had mis-remembered the price; it turned out the store had it for $179. A huge discount over the original price, but it still took me a while to work up the nerve to spring for it. I'd never even shelled out 3 figures for a bottle before. But I picked one up tonight, and I'm glad I did. What an amazing nose and palate! I get pine sap, ginger, lemon and grapefruit. A very balanced caramel from the wood undergirds it. Plus beer, obviously -- I think someone on the LAWS site mentioned Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and that's entirely apposite. Utterly delicious and unique -- I'm not going to tear through the bottle, but I will certainly savor it.

And there's at least one more bottle at the store for that price. If any of you are ever in Portland and want to know where, PM me.