Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from Greenville, SC

Hello, I'm new to SB.com and enjoying Bourbon. I'm not even sure how I got here...here being liking the taste of Bourbon neat or with a cube of ice. I guess it started in the Spring of 2012. I have been primarily a beer drinker enjoying predominantly Weissbeer and avoiding any beer with hop bitterness but when at events for work I hated the cheap beer selections so I started drinking whatever the bourbon selection was with Coke or Pepsi b/c somehow cheap Bourbon and Coke is better than cheap beer.

So back to the Spring of 2012, our conference was in New Orleans and since my wife hadn't been in awhile we stayed a couple extra days after the conference ended. The restaurant in our hotel was called The Bourbon House and it was there that I had my first Bourbon with nothing added other than a cube of ice. I asked the bar keep for a great tasting bourbon that wouldn't bust the wallet and he suggested Buffalo Trace, that's when I realized I could really like Bourbon.

Here's what I've had and my thoughts on them but don't expect polished explanations, I'm not that experienced:

Makers Mark - decent, widely available in bars and that's probably the only place I'd drink it
    Wild Turkey (81 I'm guessing) - easy to find in a bar, great if you want a mixed drink
    Bulleit (guessing The Legend) - blech, way too harsh for my taste
    Blantons - Like it with a cube of ice
    Buffalo Trace - I like it with a cube of ice and it's in the cabinet at the house
    Angel's Envy - My favorite so far (yes, with a cube of ice) and is also in the cabinet at the house

These observations are all based on casual drinking of Bourbon at various occasions which gives me a great excuse to start paying attention to what it is I like about the ones I like without mixing and define what I don't like about some of the others. I'm willing to bet as I understand more my opinions will change...except maybe the Bulleit. I also plan on getting some whiskey stones to see how I like the flavor of the Bourbon when it isn't weakened by the melting ice.

I have to also say my wife had a surprise for me when I got home today. She knew that I'd been trying to find some Glencairn glasses and knew that I'd ordered some that have yet to show up. She saw what she thought was the Glencairn glass and brought a set of 4 home today! I don't know that having those glasses is that big of a deal but it gave me a reason to pour up some Angel's Envy!

As you might have guessed by my screen name, I love riding motorcycles and I've owned quite a few from cruisers to sport bikes. I currently have a 2013 Triumph Speed Triple that is more fun than should be legal. I'm looking forward to understanding more about Bourbon and maybe meeting some folks in the area that also have an interest and interacting with y'all here!

Guru

Re: Hello from Greenville, SC

Hey Paul, welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Welcome aboard, Paul! If you haven't ordered the whiskey stones already, I'd skip those. IMHO, they are a waste of time. I've got four (in the freezer), but think I've used them on no more than 4 occasions, and they only drop the temp of the whiskey by a couple degrees. If you want to chill without dilution from ice, I'd put a rocks glass in the freezer for an hour or two (or just leave one there). Sure, you'll get a wee bit of condensation on the inside, but that will bring the temp down in a noticeable way. With the whiskey stones - I had to use an IR Thermometer to see if the temp had changed, because I couldn't tell.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Or do like Jimmy Russell and just keep your bottle of bourbon in the freezer.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BikerPaul View Post
    I'm looking forward to understanding more about Bourbon and maybe meeting some folks in the area that also have an interest and interacting with y'all here!
    You'll certainly find out lots about Bourbon(s) here on the forums. You'll meet up with lots of nice folks here as well. I'm with Darryll on forgetting about the 'stones'. They don't do much and are pretty much a waste of money.
    Many Bourbons are classed as to rye content (high-rye, low rye, etc.) also, there are wheated Bourbons (wheat is used as the 'small grain' rather than rye) to consider, Maker's Mark is one; but a better one (more character) is Old Weller Antique 107. Try a few high-rye ones, a few low-rye ones, a few wheaters and you'll have a good basis to understand your profile preferences. Also, age (time in the barrel) is a big part of the flavor and aroma profile, so think about that as well (although, increasingly, you'll find many without an age statement... too bad). Have FUN on your Bourbon journey!! That's what it's all about.

Disciple

Welcome Paul, you'll soon find out this is a great board with a wealth of information. Can't recall how I got here either but sure am glad I did

Advanced Taster

Welcome Paul. I spent four great years in Greenville, SC while I was in college. Love the city. A buddy of mine was in Greenville last year and found a bottle of Pappy 15 on the shelf. Hope you are as lucky...

Novice

Cool to find rare stuff just laying around. Did you go to Furman?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Disciple

Welcome to the site!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Virtuoso

Good Day Paul- Welcome from one of the Michigan folks.

Glad to have you here. That Speed Triple is a beautiful bike but I do not think I would have a license anymore.

Best regards, Tony