Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 09/2013: Springbank

Springbank is my favorite Scotch distillery. I currently have a Hazelburn 8, older Springer 15 and a Longrow 7 finished for 1.5 years in Gaja Barolo open. Waiting in the wings is the CS 14 amontillado CW mentioned. Best I've tried is the CS 12 Madeira finish that came out a while back. The depth, complexity and diversity of Springbank cannot be overstated. I'd love to get into a Springer 21, or some older bottlings. When people say 'a cracking good dram' Springbank is the first thing that 'springs' to mind!

Guru

Poured myself Springbank 14yr CS Amontillado and it knocking me on my @$$ - it's a stunner of a Scotch... Clean sherry flavors & no sulphur tones to speak of.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Springbank is a distillery I really don't want to tell other people about (apart from close friends) because when word gets out people will be all over it. Sadly word has gotten out because Springbank has stopped offering private bottlings of single barrels for stores because they need all the whisky for their standard range and special releases.

I think Springbank is a rough and tumble whisky but it's such a good rough and tumble whisky. When I'm not in the mood for a peaty whisky or a fruity and smooth Speyside, I always reach for a Springbank.

Virtuoso

I opened a Lombard Jewels of Scotland Springbank distilled in 1991 and bottled in 2001 last night. This is killer stuff! Amazing depth for a not-quite 10yo. I have not been let down by this line of Lombard's; bottling at 100°, NCF, no color. They also did a Springer with same distillation bottled in 2004 that is an absolute gem. In fact, I thought that's the one I was buying when I found this on the shelf a few months ago; got it home to find it was bottled younger. The color is a bit darker and there's more berry fruit present, leading me to believe some sherry barrels are in the mix. So clean and flavorful. If you ever see any Lombard-bottled Springbank, snatch it up!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I opened a Lombard Jewels of Scotland Springbank distilled in 1991 and bottled in 2001 last night. This is killer stuff! Amazing depth for a not-quite 10yo. I have not been let down by this line of Lombard's; bottling at 100°, NCF, no color. They also did a Springer with same distillation bottled in 2004 that is an absolute gem. In fact, I thought that's the one I was buying when I found this on the shelf a few months ago; got it home to find it was bottled younger. The color is a bit darker and there's more berry fruit present, leading me to believe some sherry barrels are in the mix. So clean and flavorful. If you ever see any Lombard-bottled Springbank, snatch it up!
    You hit that Springer sample I sent home with you yet?
    Justin

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    You hit that Springer sample I sent home with you yet?
    Saving it! My taster has not been in optimal shape due to a persistent bug. I don't want to let anything get in the way of my experience with it.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Taster

Springbank is easily my favorite Scotch distillery as well (so far...). I currently have the 15, 18, 10 year 100 proof (one open, one sealed), Longrow Rundlets & Kilderkins 11, and Longrow Burgundy 14. All are abso-freakin-lutely incredible. The 10/100 is incredibly complex and to be honest right up there with the 18 in my book. Both Longrows are superb as well... If I ever make a pilgrimage to Scotland, I will make it to Campbeltown come hell or high water.
    Mike
    "I want a whiskey whiskey whiskey when I'm thirsty, I want a water water water when I'm dry"

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Springbank is my favorite Scotch distillery. I currently have a Hazelburn 8, older Springer 15 and a Longrow 7 finished for 1.5 years in Gaja Barolo open. Waiting in the wings is the CS 14 amontillado CW mentioned. Best I've tried is the CS 12 Madeira finish that came out a while back. The depth, complexity and diversity of Springbank cannot be overstated. I'd love to get into a Springer 21, or some older bottlings. When people say 'a cracking good dram' Springbank is the first thing that 'springs' to mind!
    I just bought a bottle of the CS 12 Madeira finish, how was it? It will be waiting for a while for me to open it, because I have a bunch of opens at my bar right now.

Advanced Taster

Springbank, along with HP and Balvenie are my favorites. I have an SB 15 old label open right now and generally have at least on SB one open at all times. One of the best values around is the SB 12 CS, really great stuff for under $70. In the bunker are SB25 (mid 1990's), SB21 (2013), Lombard Jewels of Scotland 1965 SB, SB18 x2 (new packaging), SB18 x2 (old packaging) & SB15 old label. I just opened a Clynelish 14 which has a very similar coastal/grassy/salty profile as SB, so I was pleased to find another every day drinker for a reasonable price that's within my desired taste profile.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jvd99 View Post
    Springbank, along with HP and Balvenie are my favorites. I have an SB 15 old label open right now and generally have at least on SB one open at all times. One of the best values around is the SB 12 CS, really great stuff for under $70. In the bunker are SB25 (mid 1990's), SB21 (2013), Lombard Jewels of Scotland 1965 SB, SB18 x2 (new packaging), SB18 x2 (old packaging) & SB15 old label. I just opened a Clynelish 14 which has a very similar coastal/grassy/salty profile as SB, so I was pleased to find another every day drinker for a reasonable price that's within my desired taste profile.
    I totally agree with the SB 12 CS being a good value and a great scotch. Batch after batch.