Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Re-aging straight whiskey - charred cask

I've had a mind to do something like this for a while but haven't pulled the trigger. I think the real success, and this is just hypothesis, comes from thinking of "finishing" rather than "aging". This probably works better if the barrel has been used once or twice as well, so the intensity of the new wood and small surface area are mitigated. I would probably age something I wasn't going to sip straight to begin with, like white rum. If I ruin 3L of Bacardi, it's just going to get mixed in with coke, no big deal. Then 2nd fill, maybe some local moonshine - give it a little color, and maybe get some kind of bizarre AE Rye thing going on from the rum (but probably not). Then I would think the barrel would have mellowed enough to try some real "finishing" of straight whiskies. Maybe barrel aging the SB blend (which has been mentioned here on the board before). Eventually the barrel would become mostly dormant and would probably be a good vessel for doing cocktail mingling (which has also been mentioned here many times).

Virtuoso

Seems like I'm going to have to put someone else's money where my mouth is. I was checking my Amazon wishlist and somebody has apparently bought me a 3L barrel. Guess we'll see how this goes in practice.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The mini-keg I used holds just a liter - it sits on a cradle and you can find them online. It never leaked, not a drop, nor did it impart I believe any piney taste but rather is diminishing what is there in that regard. I feel some small barrels used by the craft distilling industry may be imparting this sappy spruce note, but am not sure.

Gary

Guru

I wouldn't be surprised Gary, I doubt the small producers have the buying clout to demand 3 year old air aged wood.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Important to realize that these small hobby barrels probably aren't constructed of the most high quality wood. And the increased surface contact will amplify the effect of cheap wood, hence the typical piney and harsh green flavors. If the wood was fully yard aged, I imagine we could make some good hobby whiskeys at home, but that would be pretty expensive.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I've had a mind to do something like this for a while but haven't pulled the trigger. I think the real success, and this is just hypothesis, comes from thinking of "finishing" rather than "aging". This probably works better if the barrel has been used once or twice as well, so the intensity of the new wood and small surface area are mitigated.
    I thought about suggesting this though I have never tried it. You would essentially "wet season" the wood (versus dry seasoning the staves before it is made into a barrel) over a couple years to remove all of the sappy green tannins.

Guru

Coupla years just to season the barrel huh? This is taking Bourbon Geekery to a whole new level.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Coupla years just to season the barrel huh? This is taking Bourbon Geekery to a whole new level.
    Well... I'm used to cooperage that was yard aged 2-3 years or more

Guru

I was talking about the rest of us Winston.

Virtuoso

Are there high quality hobby barrels out there? Or all cheap and cheerful kind.