Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

"Pumpkin Pie" Bourbon

I have attempted to make "pumpkin pie" bourbon. Sort of based on the premise of "Apple Pie" (Justified).

I used Old Charter 10, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, brown sugar, baked pumpkin slices form a party next Friday.

I'm interested in anyone else s ideas on this. I'll post how it turns out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0553.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	19652

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: "Pumpkin Pie" Bourbon

Good thinking there, it sounds wonderful for an after-dinner dram. Just a suggestion, but for another batch, add dried apple slices. In England, pumpkin and apple have been combined in pies for hundreds of years. Pumpkin is American but migrated there very early and the use of apple is an interesting complement. I'd advise this if the "squashy" taste is too pronounced in your current essay.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-25-2014 at 06:32.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Good thinking there, it sounds wonderful for an after-dinner dram. Just a suggestion, but for another batch, add dried apple slices. In England, pumpkin and apple have been combined in pies for hundreds of years. Pumpkin is American but migrated there very early and the use of apple is an interesting complement. I'd advise this if the "squashy" taste is too pronounced in your current essay.

Gary
    Sorry to thread drift a bit but when I was working at a bakery we did a pumpkin pie with apples on the bottom for thanksgiving. Quite good actually. Give it a shot Enoch. Let us know how it comes out.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good to hear that (re the apples and pumpkin in U.S. pies), testament surely to old connections between America and Britain whence so many immigrants came.

Gary

Virtuoso

We do this (pumpkin pie with apple slices on bottom) in my neck of the woods for Thanksgiving. Along with the traditional spices, there is some cardamom that lightens it up a bit. The pumpkin puree is from roasted sugar pumpkins, so that should be similar to your baked pumpkin slices and address Gary's comment on keeping it from getting too "squashy".

You've given me an idea for this Thanksgiving though - some bourbon into the pumpkin/apple pie!
    Mark

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I have attempted to make "pumpkin pie" bourbon. Sort of based on the premise of "Apple Pie" (Justified).

I used Old Charter 10, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, brown sugar, baked pumpkin slices form a party next Friday.

I'm interested in anyone else s ideas on this. I'll post how it turns out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0553.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	19652
    I'll be very curious to know how this turns out.
    I made my own "Justified Apple Pie" with a jar of Popcorn Sutton moonshine.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Guru

Definitely looking forward to hearing how this goes. I love Corsair's "Old Punk", and imagine it is a pale likeness to what you've got going on there!
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

It's been almost three weeks. I had planned to use it Halloween but had to take wife to the ER so I let it sit. Tasting every other night or so, The vanilla bean came out first, followed by cinnamon, finally fruity pumpkin taste. Even wife likes it. There seems to be two philosophies about about pumpkin prep. Bake for 40 minutes at 400 or 24 hours at 175. I used the first because it was quicker. It does seem to add a lot of liquid to solution. I just got another sugar pumpkin so I am going to try the latter to see if there is a difference in taste. I'll report back later.

Advanced Taster

Most of the flavor we ascribe to pumpkin pie is in the mix of the spices. Pumpkin Spice coffee and beer often do not contain pumpkin at all because the flavor is fairly mild and it can give off an unpleasant astringency and vegetal green bell pepper note if used in high quantities. For this reason, I think that roasted pumpkin itself is really quite unnecessary, if anything use something sweeter like butter nut squash and really cook it down so that it's almost dried

Guru

Started a jar of this. I baked the pumpkin slices down for 10 hours at 200 degrees. Have 2 cinnamon sticks, a vanilla bean, a whole nutmeg, a star anise and some whole cloves (the anise and cloves are in cheesecloth sachets so I can pull them out independently). Using Old Ezra 7yr 101, and poured the bourbon over the pumpkin right after taking it out of the oven. Figure the anise and cloves will be the first things to get pulled (maybe just a day or two?), and I'll check periodically on the rest. Hoping it will be done by Thanksgiving (almost two weeks?).
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins