Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 9/13: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

Sorry I'm late folks. Anyway, here you go.

The Bourbon Of The Month is 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

I haven't had a bottle of this open in quite a while, so I'll refrain from saying a whole lot. One thing I will say, I liked it. Not as much as I like my wheater's, but I thought it was pretty decent IIRC. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle next week when I'm down in Kentucky. Might be a good time to revisit it.

Cheers and happy posting!

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 9/13: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

I just finished a bottle of this about a week ago. It was decent enough, lots of vanilla and some nice leatheriness. I got it on sale for about $20. Normal price is closer to $30 around here, and at that price point there are other bottles I'd grab first. As I think back, I believe I only took this neat (whereas I often add an ice cube or water to my bourbon). It just didn't hold up with water or ice.

The only downside is it makes me wish I could get VOB locally.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

I like this one fine. I agree with Brisko that it doesn't always do well with water or ice, but I think it's a pleasant summertime sipper and a nice change of pace from the more aggressive high-rye or yeasty bourbons I usually find myself sipping.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

The Voshole

I don't think I've had any of the standard 1792, but have had some private selections that were very good. Always drank them neat so I can't comment on how it holds up with either
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post

... but I thought it was pretty decent IIRC.

Joe
    Hi Joe-

What's IIRC mean? Couldn't find it in the "Frequently Used Abbreviations & Acronyms" page, and a search for it led me astray.

Thanks.

-Charlie

Virtuoso

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

I have a TPS Selection of 1792 - will have to open it tonight and give it a go. Bought a couple after VOB BiB opened my eyes to Barton distilling.
    Mark

Advanced Taster

Have always liked 1792, although it does seem to vary from batch to batch. It is one of the ones in my regular rotation. Decent pour for the money. Toured the distillery last October. Really very nice people and the tour of the bottling line was great. Interesting to see all the different things they were bottling for others.

Taster

My nearly full bottle of 1792 was buried in the back of my liquor cabinet. After re-visiting this bottle today, I remember why it was nearly full. I think I must have a bad bottle, because it tastes younger than its 8 year age statement, and is not very complex. I picked this up at a BevMo for around $22 on sale over a year ago. At least it was inexpensive enough that I'm OK with using it with mixers. At this price point, and with the generally positive reviews coming from SBers and from other review websites, I'll probably try another bottle, eventually. I'm chalking up my experience to bad luck with batch variation.

Virtuoso

This is one I'll have to revisit. The last time I had it was at Barton. Unfortunately for the 1792, they served it after VOB in the tasting and it came off as rather bland. I have heard good things about it from others, particularly the SB picks so I'll give it another go at some point. In the meantime, however, I have plenty of VOB BIB.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
    My nearly full bottle of 1792 was buried in the back of my liquor cabinet. After re-visiting this bottle today, I remember why it was nearly full. I think I must have a bad bottle, because it tastes younger than its 8 year age statement, and is not very complex. I picked this up at a BevMo for around $22 on sale over a year ago. At least it was inexpensive enough that I'm OK with using it with mixers. At this price point, and with the generally positive reviews coming from SBers and from other review websites, I'll probably try another bottle, eventually. I'm chalking up my experience to bad luck with batch variation.
    I had the same experience. Bought a bottle about 9 months ago and ended up using it as a mixer. The juice tasted very young with bitter finish. I regretted buying the bottle, but could have done much worse for $26.
    Tyler