Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 9/13: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

A couple things to add to what I said above: According to the information I have been able to gather (reflected in the whiskey tree), VOB and 1792 are different mashbills. It's likely that 1792 is from a high-malt mashbill, something unique among macrodistillers. It's been speculated that Kentucky Tavern is also the same mashbill. That said, there is still something very Barton about it, probably yeast or warehouse related.

Second, I have also noticed quite a bit of batch to batch variation myself. First bottle I got was bloody awful. Poured it out. Next time I tasted it, I really enjoyed it. VOB has become much more consistent since Sazerac took over, maybe that will happen with 1792 also.

Second and a half, I think 1792 is a "starter" bourbon. I've enjoyed it the most when it was my first whiskey of the day. If I have it after something high-proof or spicy (Four Roses Single Barrel for example) it comes up really, really bland.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    1792 is something I've tried several times. To me it had a taste of leather, and was rather dry and woody. It seemed like a quality whiskey, just not my thing. By the way, I'm a big fan of VOB.
    I, too, am a fan of VOB BIB. It seems to me that they have it backwards. Except that I would say the "value pour" is better than their attempt at a premium bourbon.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

[QUOTE=sutton;367806]

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

Thanks, Sutton (and Bourbon Boiler)--I should have gone off site and Googled this. Somehow in the context I thought maybe RC meant Rye Content and had various guesses at the II, mosly involving Roman numeral 2.

Advanced Taster

You can also count me in as a VOB BIB fan. I'll be on the lookout for a 1792 to compare it with.

I am a huge Barton fan, I am pretty sure Colonel Lee BIB is my favorite pour.. I tried 1792 for the first time in a while the other night and just did not find it appealing. It had a huge hit of bitter wood which just predominated from entry to finish, will have to give it another go as the bottle that I finished had been open for quite a while.

Enthusiast

1792 is $34.95. VOB BIB is $14.95. I love the latter and have always avoided the former, but seeing it is a different mash-bill makes me wonder.

Then again VOB BIB is abnormally good for how cheap it is. Maybe I'll rectify this situation by picking up a bottle. For research purposes only.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    1792 is $34.95. VOB BIB is $14.95.
    Where are you getting it at that price? The OLCC set price is $15.90. Plus the closest place you can get it is Big Y Liquors in Eugene. The price of gas wipes out the price advantage, so I buy it only when I happen to be down there.

(which is fairly often because I work down there now. Makes for a looooong commute)
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Advanced Taster

1792 Ridgemont Reserve is not generally available at the stores I frequent, so when I saw a single bottle of it sitting forlorn among the Beams in an independent retailer I had stopped at to buy beer on my way home from work Monday, it was kismet.

Tastes like a "premium" VOB to me. I did a side-by-side with VOB BIB last night. To me, the two were very similar (and there's only a minor difference in proof), but the 1792 did seem to have richer color, nose, legs, mouth feel, flavor, and finish. My taste buds say the 1792 was a tad sweeter, with caramel and/or toffee notes that I didn't sense in the VOB. Truth is, during the the taste comparison I found I was always reaching for the 1792 first.

But when I have $34 to spend on a bottle, will I reach for a 1792 Ridgemont Reserve? No; I'll probably reach for another in that price range. But on the bottom shelf, VOB BIB remains a best buy for me. (For the record, VOB BIB goes for $14 around Chicago.)
    Last edited by Chuckles; 09-18-2013 at 09:49.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Sorry I'm late folks. Anyway, here you go.

The Bourbon Of The Month is 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

I haven't had a bottle of this open in quite a while, so I'll refrain from saying a whole lot. One thing I will say, I liked it. Not as much as I like my wheater's, but I thought it was pretty decent IIRC. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle next week when I'm down in Kentucky. Might be a good time to revisit it.

Cheers and happy posting!

Joe
    Well, better late than never. I was getting somewhat depressed, because this is my first month at Straightboubon.com and I was looking forward to your Bourbon of the Month so I could have an excuse to buy another bottle.

Now I do, and I am very curious as to what it will be like (being very new to Bourbon whiskey, just about everything I try is a very new experience). Next week, I shall take a short trip to Market Square Liquors (Tallahassee) and try it out.

Advanced Taster

Wish I could get VOB BiB to compare with the 1792. We do have VOB 6 Yr 86 proof around here but I never hear anyone wax eloquent about it. Anyway last night I'm in New Bedford, MA at a Portuguese wedding in a Portuguese social club function hall. Fun wedding with a bit of good news/bad news. The bad news was that it was a cash bar, the good news was that 4 fingers of 1792 (yes you read that right 4 fingers or about 5oz) was only $4. And it wasn't like I asked for a double or a triple. That was the standard pour. Needless to say I only had two of them. For me 1792 is a standard open bottle at home - and to see it open in public is unusual here in the Northeast. Good balance of flavors.