Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Bourbon Trail

Novice

Bourbon Trail

Hello all. Another new person here. Hope this is the right forum to ask this on. My wife and I are heading to Kentucky and we only have time to visit 1 distillery. We are thinking of Makers Mark just because we know the name. Part 2 of the question is we are both new to bourbon so I would like to hit a distillery that has a bourbon a newbie can try to introduce ourselves to it. Any suggestions?

Craig

Guru

Re: Bourbon Trail

Hey Craig, welcome aboard. For an introduction to tasting I suggest Heaven Hill.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

The Heaven Hill tours stink now. I was very disappointed at my last trip. They have completely redone their tours and tastings for the worse.

Maker's Mark I think is a very good first tour to go on. You get to see the process from beginning to end and it's very professionally done, although some might say a little too slick. Woodford Reserve is an excellent tour too on a beautiful very old distillery site. Buffalo Trace has a good regular tour and an excellent hard hat tour.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I think Josh's rec is a perfect one for someone new. Heck, it 's a great tour for a regular. It's a beautiful place, to start. The tour is thorough, well done, and includes a nice tasting at the end. Plus, if you wish to pick up a souvenir at the end, their gift shop is second to none in quantity and quality. The entire experience of the MM tour puts it at/near the top of all tours I've done.
    I hope you have a great time, regardless which tour you choose!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I think Josh's rec is a perfect one for someone new. Heck, it 's a great tour for a regular. It's a beautiful place, to start. The tour is thorough, well done, and includes a nice tasting at the end. Plus, if you wish to pick up a souvenir at the end, their gift shop is second to none in quantity and quality. The entire experience of the MM tour puts it at/near the top of all tours I've done.
    I hope you have a great time, regardless which tour you choose!
    All the tours you've done? That's a bold statement :laugh:
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The Heaven Hill tours stink now. I was very disappointed at my last trip. They have completely redone their tours and tastings for the worse.
    I couldn't agree more and the only one I've done that I wouldn't even think about going through again,visit the gift shop,enjoy the sheer mass and scape of the of the rickhouses and move on.Generic,uninformative and just bland in comparison with almost any other out there,which pains me to say as I am quite a fan of their product line.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

Have FUN! ...Wherever you tour.
    All the tours are at least somewhat similar; but most have one or two things about 'em that stand out.
    Think about taking a different one each time you get a half-day in which to do it.
    The 'homey atmosphere' at Maker's is nice, and their products are easy-drinkers, so ....a good start.
    Oh, and; Welcome to 'the board'!

Connoisseur

BT is not on the official Bourbon Trail but it is one my wife and I have enjoyed four times. While some distilleries have found it necessary and/or advantageous to charge for tours, so far BT has avoided the tempation. We always ask for Freddie because he is entertaining and offers great tips at the tasting.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    BT is not on the official Bourbon Trail but it is one my wife and I have enjoyed four times. While some distilleries have found it necessary and/or advantageous to charge for tours, so far BT has avoided the tempation. We always ask for Freddie because he is entertaining and offers great tips at the tasting.
    I agree. BT distills and bottles so many varieties. Freddie is very knowledgeable and a great tour guide.

Taster

Welcome to the site. MM is a good tour to see the process from start to finish and the grounds are really nice.