Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Hello from Edmonton

Welcome from Georgia!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Really? I must be looking at the wrong lcbo website.
    I think the grass may be greener on the other side. I know you have had Old Weller Antique and 12, but when I looked (since my wife is in TO in a month) all I found was Old Granddad.

We do have a great Scotch selection, even at our discoun--er, never mind. Our fine wine shops tend to have extensive shelf space for Scotch, but very little for North American products. One manager was very dismissive when I asked him about the Weller 12, but I should be more understanding. It has taken me a long time to develop an appreciation for our local whiskey.

Joe

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome from Georgia!
    Thanks, Gary. Go Dawgs!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Donny D View Post
    Our fine wine shops tend to have extensive shelf space for Scotch, but very little for North American products.
    I know its not in Edmonton but are you aware of this one in Calgary (they ship within Alberta).

Novice

Calgary is a lot closer than you would think. Many fine liquor stores and restaurants, and only an hour to the mountains.
    My wife doesn't know we plan our vacations around liquor stores. Or maybe she does.

Joe

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Donny D View Post
    Calgary is a lot closer than you would think.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was that far. I just thought you might not have come across KWM - one of the great shops anywhere in North America. Andrew Ferguson is extremely knowledgeable whisky geek and has a lot of connections in the business.

Novice

I have been there several times, but for the wine. I appreciate your letting me know that Andrew Ferguson manages the store. I had not made that connection. Thanks.

Taster

Welcome to the boards. I know what you mean about vacations and liquor stores. Wife: "Why are you getting off the highway?" Me: "Just want to stop and stretch...oh, look there's a liquor store! I wonder what they have?"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Westernboys View Post
    Welcome to the boards. I know what you mean about vacations and liquor stores. Wife: "Why are you getting off the highway?" Me: "Just want to stop and stretch...oh, look there's a liquor store! I wonder what they have?"
    This is exactly what I do. In fact, just this year we were up in Edmonton and Jasper and while in town I made more than 1 side trip to get some of those Canadian gems. Not only did I end up with some great whiskys, I also got to see parts of Edmonton I never would have otherwise.

BTW OP, welcome to the boards!

Novice

We sometimes get a pretty good price on Alberta rye. I picked up two fifths of Alberta Premium Rye (one of the few actually to be rye) for $17, which may even be a good deal south of the border.

Two years ago, I was saddened to learn that one of my favorite shops outside Buffalo shut down. We used to stop for pizza after crossing the border, and there happened to be a liquor store right on the way. The last time I went that way, the shop was abandoned. Needless to say, we have not stopped for pizza in Tonawanda since.

Joe