Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

High West Campfire Refresh: French & Hungarian Oak Finish

Apparently High West's Campfire is getting a refresh with the "XO" (extra oak) mark in front of the Batch # to distinguish it as having been finished in "new French & Hungarian wine barrels" (I'm guessing Sauternes & Tokaji?). These are apparently being processed now and the switchover should happen in the very near future.

I'm curious how it turns out as I absolutely adore the Campfire.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Disciple

Re: High West Campfire Refresh: French & Hungarian Oak Finish

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Apparently High West's Campfire is getting a refresh with the "XO" (extra oak) mark in front of the Batch # to distinguish it as having been finished in "new French & Hungarian wine barrels" (I'm guessing Sauternes & Tokaji?). These are apparently being processed now and the switchover should happen in the very near future.

I'm curious how it turns out as I absolutely adore the Campfire.
    I'm gonna hit the State L Stores tomorrow and see if I can find one. If I don't I imagine I'll take a drive up Parley's Canyon soon enough.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Mat, can you chime in about the taste difference? I am guessing that being French red oak, it will be spicer and show more tannins that the American white oak counterpart?
    Last edited by LostBottle; 09-17-2013 at 22:52.

Disciple

High West Campfire Refresh: French & Hungarian Oak Finish

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Mat, can you chime in about the taste difference? I am guessing that being French red oak, it will be spicer and show more tannins that the American white oak counterpart?
    Guessing sweetness from the former occupants of the casks as well. I'm not sure that the standard Campfire was mingled in casks prior to bottling.
    Jim

Connoisseur

"New French and Hungarian wine barrels". Does new mean this Campfire is from first fill wine barrels, or that the barrels are brand new French oak barrels normally used for wine? "Finished" does tend to mean they held something else, but "extra oak" leads me to believe they may be new barrels used for the spicy notes that French oak tends to impart.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 09-17-2013 at 23:14.

Apprentice

I don't have the bottle in front of me, but got my first bottle of Campfire last night in NY to try out and the batch started with a "XO" and I remember the bottle # as 2950.

This is my first bottle of Campfire so I can't compare to others but I thought it was a super interesting sip and very smooth. Dominated by rye with a little sweetness on the palette, followed by a nice finish with the smoke from the scotch coming through followed by a small but definitive rye spiciness. This bottle will probably go down quickly.

Guru

New oak barrels is the word

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Thx final442 (soccer formation reference?) - I am very much looking forward to this bottle... No XO bottles at my local store yet.

Apprentice

I checked the bottle and the batch was "XO-2" , no date listed. I couldn't help but have another pour which was again very good in my opinion.

My name is actually a college basketball reference, for the Final 4 and 42 was the # of my favorite player on Uconn when they beat Duke in the 1999 championship game.

Advanced Taster

I like the campfire, but I'm not a huge fan. I'm a big fan of dessert wines, though. It looks like these aren't finished in dessert wine casks; are there any bourbons that have been finished in tokaji barrels? Or beers, maybe? Time for some investigation...