Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: High West Campfire Refresh: French & Hungarian Oak Finish

We had an XO-1 side by side with a non-XO Campfire back in November, along with Dave Perkins to explain what he was shooting for. Unfortunately this was a couple hours into tasting some other lovely pours, so no detailed notes (tanssaafl - not sure if you recollect any specifics?). I do recall there being a subtle difference between the two, but not overwhelming so (which was their goal). I liked both; don't recall preferring one over the other. Don't have a standard Campfire on-hand, but will bring the XO to the next GBS event to repeat the comparison.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Re: High West Campfire Refresh: French & Hungarian Oak Finish

I don't clearly remember this morning... The Crown Royal tasting I went to last night may have had something to do with that!

I do recall having a fairly extended discussion on Bulleit, the Stitzel-Weller distillery and bourbon in general with the Diageo rep Kevin Mulcahy but as is usually the case nothing really substantive came of that. He indicated strongly that Bulleit was made "from scratch" specifically to their own specifications on the Four Roses equipment and wasn't just Four Roses whiskey. Only people who know that for sure haven't, as far as I know, been willing to kiss and tell publicly!

I do recall there was only a subtle difference but I was rather deep into rum that day and had a second party to attend afterwards so not sure my memory can be counted on!

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    We had an XO-1 side by side with a non-XO Campfire back in November, along with Dave Perkins to explain what he was shooting for. Unfortunately this was a couple hours into tasting some other lovely pours, so no detailed notes (tanssaafl - not sure if you recollect any specifics?). I do recall there being a subtle difference between the two, but not overwhelming so (which was their goal). I liked both; don't recall preferring one over the other. Don't have a standard Campfire on-hand, but will bring the XO to the next GBS event to repeat the comparison.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum