Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hello from the St. Louis suburbs

Iíve been lurking for about six months now, but thought it was time to say hi. So hello from OíFallon, MO. Iíve always been a beer drinker and just really started drinking whiskey early this year. Iíve found I really enjoy sipping on a good whiskey or two while sitting on the patio or watching a game. SB has been a great resource as I work my way through trying different bourbons and ryes.

Guru

Re: Hello from the St. Louis suburbs

Hey ST, welcome aboard. This is the place to journey along with other enthusiasts.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome to 'the board' SwampTiger!
    You'll have even more fun now that you can respond, and get responses to your posts. I look forward to your contributions.
    Tell us what your your early favorites are, as far Bourbon and Rye... or anything else that you like.... or don't care for.
    Comparing these sorts of notes broadens everybody's enjoyment and understanding. Most of all: Have FUN!!!

Guru

Welcome from Georgia! I was preparing some wisecrack about the Blues . . . but then remembered that Atlanta is (I think?) the only city to lose TWO NHL teams . . .

This is a great site with great folks. Hopefully you'll be able to meet some folks in your area to share the bourbon experience with!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Thanks for the welcome everybody. I've worked my way through about 10 bourbons and four ryes and haven't found anything yet I don't like. Though the Redemption rye will likely be reserved for the occasional cocktail. I think probably 4RSmB and EC12 are a couple of favorites but really enjoy 1792 and Larceny as well. I just opened a W12 and that was not what I expected, still have to figure it out. I drained my bottle of GDR pretty quickly but just got a bottle of Rittenhouse BiB I think I may like more.

I have a lot of work to do....but I think I'm up for it.

Virtuoso

EC12 can be hard for a newcomer to tackle. Back in the day, it took me a while to figure out the complexity and start to love it. Glad you like it from the start!
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Virtuoso

SwampTiger, I drove through St. Louis in early August, while driving with my daugher cross country to a new job in CA. We hit St. Louis about 6 pm on a Tuesday, taking I-64W to the west side of St. Louis where we picked up I-70W. Now I know big city traffic is bad, but we were in stop and go traffic for the next 25 miles (counting from downtown) ! That was a lot of traffic.

BTW, we started that day in WV where we were visiting the grandmas (hers; my mom and mother-in-law), took I-64W, stopped at Four Roses so she could see a distillery (and, ahem, I picked up a couple private selections in the gift shop), and then went to what's left of Old Joe just down the street from FR (my grandfather was manager there in the late 50s).

We met my sister for lunch in Louisville at The Mayan Cafe in the NuLu part of town and then drove through lots of corn until we hit St. Louis. ;-) We stayed that night in Columbia, MO.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

You hit St. Louis at the peak of rush hour. Nothing worse than stop and go traffic when you are trying to get somewhere. My son is in school at Mizzou and we go to a bunch of football and basketball games so I make that drive on I-70 to Columbia all the time.

We just drove back from Indiana on I-64 today. It is a boring drive. Getting out if Indiana was cool though, it reminded me of Kentucky.