Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Your Top 5 Bourbons to Avoid and Why

I am sure this in the forum somewhere, if so, please direct me and those interested.

I have learned a great deal about likes, dislikes, and top 5's. I have read wide ranging opinions on pricing, marketing, and proofs as reasons to dislike or like particular bourbons.

From this, I have been able to deduce what the niche preferences are, but could someone illustrate their personal top 5 (or more) worst tasting bourbons in order. I would love to hear what these are and why you think so. If price, marketing, and proofing is a string reason, that's fine too, please say so.

Thanks
    Best,
    -Guy Debord

Trippah and Admin

Re: Your Top 5 Bourbons to Avoid and Why

My worst 5 may be someone else's best 5 and vice versa.

What exactly do you hope to get from a list of negativity like this?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

1. Anything labeled "Van Winkle"
    2. Parker's Heritage Collection
    3. BTAC
    4. Four Roses Small Batch LE
    5. Old Crow

But seriously... I agree with Scott.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    1. Anything labeled "Van Winkle"
    2. Parker's Heritage Collection
    3. BTAC
    4. Four Roses Small Batch LE
    5. Old Crow

But seriously... I agree with Scott.
    hahaha, I love it

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I don't know, y'all. There seemed to be no problem with piling on the negativity in the WT Forgiven thread...It was machine gun fire of pithy one-liners. Heck, Jimmy Russell was called nothing short of a liar. Why not draw a bead on more, and have an orgy of it...?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Maybe the gist of the thread should be, "What wouldn't you be caught dead drinking?"
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

I don't have 5 worst bourbons. This site has kept me from buying them. Thanks all
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Virtuoso

5 bourbons I bought once and probably won't buy again:

Ezra B 12yo. I bought it on vacation and thought it tasted like a flatter version of EC12 for a higher price. Higher proof as well, but it didn't matter in the bottle I had.
    RR 10/90. Another bottle I bought on vacation that doesn't really have a place on my home bar.

Hmmm, can't really put any Beam products on the list because someday I might be somewhere where it's my only choice. Same goes for Jack.

I bought minis of EW Black that didn't make me rush out to buy a bottle, but I can't say I won't do it again.

I avoid pretty much all of the sourced bourbons out there, with some exceptions. And there are more and more of them on the shelf each time I make the trip to the liquor store. Why do I avoid them? Mostly because they're too expensive for me to experiment on when there are so many well-priced whiskeys that I already know are good.

That's about the best I can do.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

i only have two, so far, that are in the "no way in hell could you even pay me to drink them" category

old overholt
    ECBP.....still kills me to say that

lots of other stuff i wouldnt buy again, but might not turn them down if someone handed me one. practically everything under 90 proof fits that bill

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

I like some negativity, criticality, and cynicism in my life, but welcome the honest lived experience factor. As a new person, learning dislikes is a highly enjoyable endeavor because it comes from a critical level of perception that is more invested and honest. People usually remember what they dislike. A person's reasons for exclusion also provides insight into their level of connoisseurship and personal preferences, which one could then use as a measurement or self barometer to decide if their taste aligns with others. When someone dislikes a thing I enjoy, I learn from them. I love that. Conversely, perhaps you had a bad day when you tried Elijah Craig 12 or you received a promotion at work the day you opened a Woodford for the first time, it makes a difference. But maybe you love spicy notes from rye contents and nothing a wheat bourbon can do will ever change you.

Furthermore, as to motive for this post, I get confused when I see comments where a person will say they enjoyed Basil Hayden, yet scoff at Old Grand Dad 114, why is that, they are both High Rye's, it's odd to me. With a simple list/game of what one avoids or dislikes and why, we can make educated decisions on what to drink and spend more time with. We can also lightly bicker about choices etc.

If it's a dumb thread, knock it down. You'll get no gripes from me. I'll just stick to reading what everyone likes and refrain from drinking the lesser mentioned. You learn what people dislike in reading what they rave about anyway. I suppose I was looking for some in depth reasoning on personal taste.

Best,
    -Guy Debord