Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

My First Glass of Pappy 23 Year Old

Out at the Kentucky Bourbon Fest. Stumbled into a restaurant that would give you a glass of 23 year old PVW for $50. Well, I have never had it so finally decided what the heck (goes for $95 a glass in DC). First, I was shocked out how smooth it was. At 23 years it should be, but that doesnt mean it wasnt wonderful to feel. Was it the best I have ever had? No. But it is very good. Like most of you guys have said, you can get good stuff for a lot cheaper. I picked up a $7 bottle of Heaven Hill that is damn good. Not quite as good as PVW but at $7 it is a steal. Which begs the question what is behind all the PVW hype? Is it merely bc they have smartly made it so limited?

Guru

Re: My First Glass of Pappy 23 Year Old

It makes people feel exclusive and bolsters their sense of self worth.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Try the 15 year. Yeah, it's worth every penny if you can find it at the suggested retail price of just under $100/bottle. No hype there...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JVande View Post
    Try the 15 year. Yeah, it's worth every penny if you can find it at the suggested retail price of just under $100/bottle. No hype there...
    I have personally tried a couple pours of the recent bottling of the 15 year recently. It was good but I don't know if I would pay $100 for a bottle of that.
    - H

Quote Originally Posted by JVande View Post
    And good luck finding that. No way can you find that anywhere. Lol

Connoisseur

It's not hard to find, especially in a bar. It's just a wheated bourbon, nothing magical. If you're anything like I was, you'll decide to shell out for a bottle or a glass and with expectations high, take your first hesitant sip, waiting for waves of pleasure to wash over you. Then you'll realize that it's pretty much like any other decent bourbon, but with a reputation inflated by television, celebrity chefs, and internet wankers. Then again, you might feel the need to justify your purchase by gushing about how amazing your experience was to anyone that will listen. But based on your post above I'm guessing you're the former type of person.

Oh I like PVW for sure and if I found a 15 year for $100 I would sure buy it. But I have yet to find anywhere I could get a bottle. Im not willing to be gouged by the restaurants and bars. Ill drink a solid pour of something cheaper. But I have never seen a bottle of 15 on sale anywhere. We have been to every liquor store here in Bardstown and no one has any Pappy for sale.

Guru

As long as a product can hold the public imagination it doesn't really have to be the best.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    It's not hard to find, especially in a bar. It's just a wheated bourbon, nothing magical. If you're anything like I was, you'll decide to shell out for a bottle or a glass and with expectations high, take your first hesitant sip, waiting for waves of pleasure to wash over you. Then you'll realize that it's pretty much like any other decent bourbon, but with a reputation inflated by television, celebrity chefs, and internet wankers. Then again, you might feel the need to justify your purchase by gushing about how amazing your experience was to anyone that will listen. But based on your post above I'm guessing you're the former type of person.
    So good to hear this sort of opinion as I don't want to shell out for over-priced bourbon, no matter how tasty. I paid $36 for a bottle of ER10 and I won't be able to give it a fair tasting until I get over over-paying.

Virtuoso

Should we talk price inflation? I got my one and only PVW 15, has a bottle code of 2008 and as best the rumor mill can discern, it is SW. Haven't opened it. I paid $64 in 2011. Let the games begin ...
    Mark