Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: My First Glass of Pappy 23 Year Old

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    This is the fair test. You must be a pretty good friend to share such a highly regarded pour with others. Just think, they thought it was the best bourbon that they ever tried. Whether others agree or not is irrelevant. It is what they thought. I enjoy sharing good experiences with others. You, my friend, are a true bourbonite! Happy pours!
    I too find the sharing and amazement of others to be a big part of what I enjoy about this hobby. I admit I won't pass out shots of PVW to novices and my friends who prefer beer over whiskey. We did blind tasting with W12 and VWFR Lot B and only half of us had good enough pallets to think they were discernible and guess which was which correctly. Opening a slightly easier to find FRSBLE 10, 11, or 12 and sharing with real enthusiasts is just as fun as PVW and much less expensive.

its not just the rarity that I and a select few really enjoy. Everyday pours like ETL or any number of others are shared and enjoyed when we gather.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Should we talk price inflation? I got my one and only PVW 15, has a bottle code of 2008 and as best the rumor mill can discern, it is SW. Haven't opened it. I paid $64 in 2011. Let the games begin ...
    When I started getting into bourbon extensively about 2002/2003, ORVW15 (no Pappy 15 then) was $35 and was almost always on the shelf. I absolutely loved it. My other two favorites, VWSR 12 Lot B and VWFRR, were in that price ball park. Sigh, those were the days. (ORVW 10 was about $25.)

And you know what? I rationed those bottles because then $35 was a lot to pay. Outside the 20 and 23 year Pappys and the Hirschs, the most expensive retail bottle was GTS at $50.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Guru

Yes, and they were correspondingly cheaper ten years earlier in the 90s . . . I blame the internet.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Not sure if it is true, but I heard at one time Maker's Mark was a very exclusive bourbon outside of KY? Some say that Wall Street stock brokers in the 1980s would pay top dollar to obtain bottles and buy sips of it at bars. Apparently bourbon was not very popular then and those who cared knew that the best bourbon came from KY and that Maker's doesn't burn so much going down.

Low supply / hard to find / mythology can cause high demand, high demand means high prices, high prices makes people feel as though they are having a "unique experience" with the product.

If there was plenty to go around and it was priced at $75 a bottle, Pappy Van Winkle would be just another bourbon that everyone says is over priced. The famous line on SB is "You can find great pours for less." Is what it is.
    -Guy Debord

Virtuoso

I think the pappy bashing is not warranted. It's great whiskey whose price has been pushed up by demand. Even if the demand is more of a thoughtless frenzy. If the price is too high then pass. The retail prices are inline with the market. Might even be way too low considering the demand. Certainly the van winkles should be praised for their contribution to the bourbon scene. Not condemned. Don't just piss on it cause you can't get a bottle. Or don't think it's "worth" the hype.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    I think the pappy bashing is not warranted. It's great whiskey whose price has been pushed up by demand. Even if the demand is more of a thoughtless frenzy. If the price is too high then pass. The retail prices are inline with the market. Might even be way too low considering the demand. Certainly the van winkles should be praised for their contribution to the bourbon scene. Not condemned. Don't just piss on it cause you can't get a bottle. Or don't think it's "worth" the hype.
    Kevin you would have a point if it was what it was but it isn't any more. PVW is not SW anymore and the Lot B is not Bernheim anymore it's all BT now. So why the hype for Weller bourbon?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Kevin you would have a point if it was what it was but it isn't any more. PVW is not SW anymore and the Lot B is not Bernheim anymore it's all BT now. So why the hype for Weller bourbon?
    The hype is definitely not related to the relative "goodness" of the bourbon at this point. That said, there's pretty much no other options for extra aged wheaters (looking at you Heaven Hill!)
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    "They" (the pappy crazy) don't care where it's from. They just need it. But that doesn't have anything to do with the pappy Owners or producers. They are innocent. All they do is produce and market. They couldn't have added SW bourbon forever. So they did it for as long as they could. That's good enough for me. Just my 2 cents
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    I think the pappy bashing is not warranted.
    No one was bashing the whiskey or the people that make it or market it, just the hype surrounding it. The "wankers" are the people that feed on and perpetuate the hype.

Virtuoso

I'm certainly not going to throw the Van Winkles under the bus because they created a brand that got famous. In fact their story is compelling and a great B school case study. What interests me is the fact that the juice that led to the fame is going/gone right at the peak of the frenzy. Those of us "in the know" are probably a small % of the buying public. Will the unwashed masses clamoring for the Pappy be satisfied with BT distillate? Will they know or care? It will be interesting to watch unfold though in the age of social media it wouldn't take much for the tide to turn if someone feels mislead or "cheated" because they didn't get what they thought they were buying.

And BTW I know the deal and will still be buying 10, 15 and Rye if I can find them.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel