Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: My First Glass of Pappy 23 Year Old

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
    Old Dusty I was talking about this with a friend today the fact that Pappy wont be pappy anymore bc of BT distillery. His contention was that it is still the same recipe. I am still mostly a beginner in this area w enough knowledge to be dangerous. Do you feel BT distillation will completely change the taste even though they are a seperate entity of BT?
    One could argue that the taste has been different for years. Before, any of the Pappy lore and legend even started. Personally, I don't think there has been, or will be, much of a change from the totally BT distilled Pappy, and the recent years released whiskey that the hyped-up, late-arriving Pappyphiles have come to know...uh, in the last year, or so...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    One could argue that the taste has been different for years. Before, any of the Pappy lore and legend even started. Personally, I don't think there has been, or will be, much of a change from the totally BT distilled Pappy, and the recent years released whiskey that the hyped-up, late-arriving Pappyphiles have come to know...uh, in the last year, or so...
    +1 ... I've had 15 and 20 in an LA restaurant a year and a half ago. Can't tell you whether it was SW or BT because I have no frame of reference for pure SW - both were excellent. I'd gather many who are chasing and have driven prices up have no frame of reference either, and sooner or later, when the next "gotta have it" comes along (whether whisk(e)y or otherwise), this bubble will burst. I think that just means the secondary market will collapse, but I think these bottles are always going to be priced at premiums at retail, but they may become a bit more available to those who purchase because they really LIKE and want to drink the whiskey.
    Mark

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    I can definitely hear the beanie babies angle, but I can also see the Pliny the Elder (the beer) angle.

However many years later, they still can't make enough of it, and it sells out almost immediately everywhere it goes. My store gets some but never puts it out on the shelf - you have to ask for it. I suspect the heat will cool from Pappy at some point, but it goes more the Pliny route than the Beanie route. Then again, people are drinking Pliny immediately after they buy it. I suspect the bubble aspect will come from the hoarders (who drove the prices up and through the roof) who never drank their whiskey, trying to unload it when they stop caring a few years from now.

Yea, I'd agree with the Pliny reference. I think it will eventually become more available when the novelty wears off. I'm sure there are tons of people sitting on unopened bottles of the stuff, that will eventually get bored and move on. That being said I'm sure the S-W stuff will always command some premium.

I've only ever had the 15, and I must say it is a very good bourbon. But I don't know that it demands the price some are asking and evidently paying.