Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

When/How did Crown Royal Become Popular?

Mods, before you think this needs to move to another forum I'd like to contrast it with bourbon.

Crown is essentially the champagne of whiskey for a lot of people, especially here in the south. In my more formative years I was known to enjoy a few rounds of it with ginger ale before figuring out how much I like real bourbons and ryes. Its interesting, and a bit odd to me that a Canadian blended whiskey would have the place it does in pop culture, and I'm curious as to how and when it got there.

Where they really good at marketing at the right time? A continuation of the canadian importation during and following prohibition? And why do you think it keeps this place over comparatively priced and much higher quality mass market "smooth" whiskeys like MM?

Cheers,

Enthusiast

Re: When/How did Crown Royal Become Popular?

Good marketing plan and pretty packaging.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Disciple

And years ago there wasn't a single magazine that did not have a full page color adv

Well maybe not Readers Digest

Connoisseur

It was my dad's "top shelf" drink too.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Crown Royal was created to honor the visit of HRH King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (hence the Crown and Royal) to Canada in 1939. Samuel Bronfman pulled out all the stops to create a top notch blend and achieved his goal. It was for the time and for many years thereafter a World Class Whisky, top shelf in any country.

Admittedly riding on reputation now I am mindful that reputation was originally both earned and deserved.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    It was my dad's "top shelf" drink too.
    It was a good sign as to how we were doing financially growing up. Good times there was Crown, normal times it was Canadian Club, bad times the likes of Canadian Hunter/Mist made took a prominent place in the cabinet.
    Last edited by ramblinman; 03-26-2014 at 10:10.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    It was a good sign as to how we were doing financially growing up. Good times there was Crown, normal times it was Canadian Club, bad times the likes of Canadian Hunter/Mist made took a prominent place in the cabinet.
    Growing up in Canada, my Dad grew up ordering CC and 7-up if he was out on the town and always got a bottle for Xmas each year of Crown. I never directly asked him, but it seemed to be the "special event so let's celebrate with a more expensive pour" mindset. He went through a bottle in the two weeks around Xmas and New Years, and wouldn't get another till the following year normally.

Connoisseur

You get a little baggie too, never under estimate the power of a cloth bag . . . cough Pappy cough!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Mildness of taste - the opposite of a straight whiskey palate - and great marketing, IMO. How Southerners (not all, fortunately) could come to prefer this to their fine native drink is a triumph not just of marketing but also the ever-loving lure of the import. Heineken beer is worthy enough, as Crown Royal is, but, as for Crown again, is a very long-established import and people attribute merit to it for that reason alone. The corner brewpub likely makes beer far more interesting than Heineken but rare is the case where this will be acknowledged by the general market.

That said, I acknowledge that many people don't like the taste of straight whiskey, I get that.

Gary

Enthusiast

Funny, I remember on my "gateway into Bourbon night" when we had a tasting of 10 different whiskeys...even then with my undeveloped palate I can remember saying "it tastes like water" after trying the Crown. Just no flavor whatsoever. I don't understand why anyone would buy it. I guess to the "It's so good, you can't even taste the alcohol" crowd it does the trick. Interesting to hear that at one time maybe it was really good...