Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

I went back to a place today where I had left a tun1401 #3. I didn't have much hope it would be left and it wasn't. Still 2 bottles of batch 6 though.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I went back to a place today where I had left a tun1401 #3. I didn't have much hope it would be left and it wasn't. Still 2 bottles of batch 6 though.
    I never could find the 6 around here or online but I didn't look super hard. Now I'm starting to keep my eyes out for the 9.

Enthusiast

The usual pour of Tomatin 18.

Connoisseur

Just about to get into a nice pour of the Kirkland 18 year from Costco that couldn't more clearly be Macallan. $33 for that (even though it's at 80 proof) is a steal.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I had some Balvenie doublewood 12 last night... man I enjoy that whisky! I know a lot think it's overpriced for a 12 year, and often I have to agree, but when I can find it for $40-50 I have to get a bottle since it's just so tasty. I still prefer the 15 year but that runs above $100 in some places!
    I love both. I can get the 12 for $30 around here and bought the 15 for $55.88. I could drink those all day at that price. The 15 is one of my favorites.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    *Hiccup*

Pouring samples always affords me a chance to sip "Dim Sum" style... getting my Balvenie TUN 1401 3-6-9 on!

Big thx to the generous SB peeps for making this possible.
    That's so beautiful that it almost brings a tear to my eye.

Connoisseur

Me and the old lady double teamed a bottle of Corryvreckan last night. This was after she had a glass of Octomore. She's from Scotland, though, so no big deal.

EDIT: POST OF THE BEAST!

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Me and the old lady double teamed a bottle of Corryvreckan last night. This was after she had a glass of Octomore. She's from Scotland, though, so no big deal.

EDIT: POST OF THE BEAST!
    Hah - that's cool (or hot)! I remember not wanting to post for a while when I hit 666 to savor it ;-)

It's pretty rad your wife can keep up with you - mine doesn't even want to be in the same room as me when I'm sipping on anything peaty.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I love both. I can get the 12 for $30 around here and bought the 15 for $55.88. I could drink those all day at that price. The 15 is one of my favorites.
    So, when you do want to ship me a few cases?

Those prices are great, I can't find anything even close to that price here and that includes online, best I can do is in the 40's shipped for the 12 and 70's shipped for the 15 and even that is down to a single retailer that I know of, the rest have the 15 right next to $100 before shipping, yikes!

I do some traveling for work to both KY and DE and I remember last time finding good prices in DE. Normally I look for fun bottles I can't get at home but with the price changes around here I may start stocking up on Balvenie, it truly is one of my favorite drams.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Hah - that's cool (or hot)! I remember not wanting to post for a while when I hit 666 to savor it ;-)

It's pretty rad your wife can keep up with you - mine doesn't even want to be in the same room as me when I'm sipping on anything peaty.
    So, please don't take my mancard, but I'm not the largest fan of peated whiskeys myself. I actually prefer the sweeter highlands though I do love the softly peated drams like Oban. I've also had some very old (for me) pours of the heavier peated ones ranging from 25 to 38 years old and I love those, the peat has mellowed so much and turned into something wonderful. My wife, on the other hand, LOVES peat. We always stock Bowmore, typically the 12 year or the 15 year darkest, because she needs that peat fix at times. Whenever I pick up a bottle of any scotch her first question is "is it peated?!?" and when she sees peat listed on the label she gets so excited.

It's crazy when we go to a cigar lounge, I'm there sipping a highland or speyside malt with a mild Ashton while she has an Islay and some dark Macanudo! People do not know what to think...
    Last edited by MtnDew; 10-12-2013 at 13:09.

Virtuoso

Having some Dimple Pinch 15 year. a well-rounded, satisfying dram that I wouldn't hesitate to serve to guests (if there's any left)