Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Finishing up the night with an easy pour of one of my Top 5 Whiskies of All Time...Red Breast 12 Cask Strength. Dear God, this is a Great whiskey!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Finishing up the night with an easy pour of one of my Top 5 Whiskies of All Time...Red Breast 12 Cask Strength. Dear God, this is a Great whiskey!
    Joe, in your opinion, is the Red Breast CS that much better than the regular offering because of the higher proof, or that they're pulling honey barrels, or both?
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Joe, in your opinion, is the Red Breast CS that much better than the regular offering because of the higher proof, or that they're pulling honey barrels, or both?
    I hope it's the latter, I finally picked up a bottle for myself a little while back and have been looking for an excuse to open it

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Y'all, I can't answer that question, because I don't know what they're doing as far as barrel selection. What I can say, is that the CS seems thicker and heavier than the standard issue (which I also love, BTW). It doesn't just seem to be a bump in proof that is at work. I think that the fullness of the CS may come from the fact that it is not chill filtered, in addition to it being straight from the barrel. Whatever it is, it is a magical result.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Aberlour A'Bunadh - spectacular pour

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I just bought my first bottle of it this week for $54. It's being shipped, but I'm looking forward to trying it.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

After seeing some good looking whisky being poured from around the world, I poured myself some from a sample of TIBS 2012 Karuizawa 1999 & 2000 'MARRYING' Cask # 2565 - 61.6%
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-09-2013 at 00:02.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Glenfiddich 18. I sometimes get so caught up in learning about or trying fancy and rare whiskey that I overlook the "regular" expressions. I realize that the 18 year is not exactly a bargain bottle, but for less than $100 (in this case $80 for a liter at the duty free) it's a very good dram. My palate is not as sensitive as some, or more likely I just can't put the flavors to words, but this scotch hits me with caramel, oak, and just a nice richness that I really appreciate without being over the top. The finish is a good medium length and leaves a sweetness that makes me smile.

Not a bad dram at all.
    Funny you mentioned that one because I recently cracked open a Glenfiddich 15 year 200 ml I have had around for a while (bought a few 3 packs (12, 15, 18 x 200ml) years ago on a deal) and I still think it is a great whisky. Some things may not be the highest rated, most expensive or often praised but they hit all the right notes and that's all that matters.

I myself just cracked open a new Lagavulin 16 year and, maybe it needs air, is just hitting me a little 'watery' and not very interesting. I hope this isn't an example of what the newest stuff is going to be like.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Funny you mentioned that one because I recently cracked open a Glenfiddich 15 year 200 ml I have had around for a while (bought a few 3 packs (12, 15, 18 x 200ml) years ago on a deal) and I still think it is a great whisky. Some things may not be the highest rated, most expensive or often praised but they hit all the right notes and that's all that matters.

I myself just cracked open a new Lagavulin 16 year and, maybe it needs air, is just hitting me a little 'watery' and not very interesting. I hope this isn't an example of what the newest stuff is going to be like.
    Glenfiddich 15 is one of my favorite drams, it just seems to taste right. Following up on inexpensive pours from Grants, I finished off my first bottle of Monkey Shoulder. I'm likely to buy this again as the price was right for a blended malt scotch and the flavor was quite good. It's even cheap enough I can make the occasional rusty nail without worrying too much.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I just bought my first bottle of it this week for $54. It's being shipped, but I'm looking forward to trying it.
    That is a great price for the CS - that is what the normal bottling goes for around here! Best I've seen in the CS in my neck of the woods is $68 - usually $5 to $10 higher. Either way, agree with Joe, this is a great whiskey. Might be heresy, but also takes water well and the fruit and cereal notes just explode from the glass.
    Mark