Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Regular Lag 16 isn't aged in sherry casks, is it? I thought that was the Distiller's Edition only?
    Lag 16 is finished in sherry. It's very evident in the color as well as on the palate in my opinion. I'm not sure the 12y CS has any sherry influence. If it does, it's minimal.

The sherry addition on the 16y adds layers and additional depth that gives it the nod over the 12y CS IMHO.

I'm not kicking either one out of my cabinet though.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Lag 16 is finished in sherry. It's very evident in the color as well as on the palate in my opinion. I'm not sure the 12y CS has any sherry influence. If it does, it's minimal.

The sherry addition on the 16y adds layers and additional depth that gives it the nod over the 12y CS IMHO.

I'm not kicking either one out of my cabinet though.
    I thought Lag16 has the darker color due to e150 - the German sites note "Mit Farbstoff" on that expression. (This doesn't mean it has not spent time in sherry butts however)

It must be said that the Lag12 also has e150...
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-19-2013 at 08:06.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

I also remember hearing that Lagavulin was shifting to all ex-bourbon in 2010 or something like that. I don't remember where I read that, though.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

I was under the impression that for the most part Lagavulin has used the traditional refill sherry casks.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is matured like normal Lagavulin and then finished in PX sherry casks, this is double maturation and the reason this malt has a ton of sherry influence. Both 21s were honey barrels that were fully matured in first fill sherry casks, which is rare for this distillery. Lagavulin 16 is mostly bourbon casks, as this is the traditional Lagavulin method. However, there are probably a handful of sherry casks that are mixed in to give the 16 a little more depth.

The amount of sherry present in Lagavulin 16 is probably small and not enough to greatly influence color.The light color of most Islay Scotches is why it was traditionally packaged in green glass; it kept people from judging the whisky on the wrong merits. Scotch should not be judged by color as it has little to do with the quality of the whisky or nowadays, how it was matured - the use of E150c is now highly prevalent, not labeled, and designed to mislead.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-19-2013 at 08:54.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I thought Lag16 has the darker color due to e150 - the German sites note "Mit Farbstoff" on that expression. (This doesn't mean it has not spent time in sherry butts however)

It must be said that the Lag12 also has e150...
    Mit Farbstoff? Really? I don't go for that Farbstoff shite, I'll tell you that. It'll just make it easier for me to put the $90 for the 12yo CS towards something mitOUT Farbstoff!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I was under the impression that for the most part Lagavulin has used the traditional refill sherry casks.
    I don't know if this is widespread practice, but I noticed some of the Feis Ile & Jazz Festival bottlings make use of refilled sherry casks (& first fill too for that matter) for maturation.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

I had a few towering pours of regular old Strathisla 12 last night. There's an old-timey taste to this Speysider that I really like. It's a nice sherried comfort dram that I'd love to taste at a higher strength, but at $45 I'm not gonna worry about drinking half the bottle in one sitting.
    Last edited by AaronWF; 11-19-2013 at 08:45. Reason: Speysider, not Highlander
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Mit Farbstoff? Really? I don't go for that Farbstoff shite, I'll tell you that. It'll just make it easier for me to put the $90 for the 12yo CS towards something mitOUT Farbstoff!
    LMAO! That's some funny Scheiße right there. Really though, I find it annoying they don't put that information on the label but I probably drink more e150 in a can of Coke than I do via whisky over the course of a year.

Guru

My information comes from the mid 1980s which referred to Lagavulin being aged in "traditional refill casks" which I read as being sherry casks. Of course these barrels were refilled three or four times until they wore out so any sherry influence may have been barely noticeable.

Donno know what they use now, ex Bourbon barrels make sense, but a limited edition finished in first fill Pedro Ximenex casks should have a definite Sherry note.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.