Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 63 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Wife and I sampling a variety of goodies this Christmas Day: Tullamore Dew Phoenix, Talisker DE, Knappogue Castle, Old Pulteney 12, Glenmorangie Original & D'Or

I can see how folks start getting into the smoke & peat...this Talisker growing on me...but as I understand it, this is one of the lighter ones in that respect...or is that incorrect?
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-25-2013 at 15:01.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Wife and I sampling a variety of goodies this Christmas Day: Tullamore Dew Phoenix, Talisker DE, Knappogue Castle, Old Pulteney 12, Glenmorangie Original & D'Or

I can see how folks start getting into the smoke & peat...this Talisker growing on me...but as I understand it, this is one of the lighter ones in that respect...or is that incorrect?
    The peat flavor really drives the mind, the taste and aromas work the memory since they're flavors not normally associated with food/drink.
    Talisker and Highland Park are probably the two best choices to start down the peaty path. Try some Lagavulin next, and when you're feeling strong... Laphroaig!!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post

Talisker is extremely mild by comparison. I had the 25 year (2004) and it was wonderful. Heavier ones like Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lediag and Lagavuil (except the 12 yr CS), etc all taste like tire fire to me.

I'm going to be cracking a Glenmorangie 18 year that I got for Christmas tonight. I had a pour of it in NY last spring and remembered it being really, really good.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

I don't check this thread very often because honestly, I just don't enjoy foreign whiskey very much. Except for Irish whiskey. My brother has bought me two fantastic Irish Whiskeys the last two years. The green spot last year was the best one I have had, but I did get the Powers John's Lane this year, and wow. The bourbon barrels have a lot more influence on this than any other Irish or Scotch I have ever had. It really it a fantastic whiskey.

Virtuoso

After all the festivities are over, time to sit down with a small dram of Laphroaig 10yr in my Laphroaig glass. Slightly chilled by the new whiskey stones I got today.

Connoisseur

Glenmorangie 18 is open. Admittedly, I'm a big fan of that place, but this stuff is blowing me away. I wish I'd bought a second bottle during that single malt sale. $68+tax is like stealing for this stuff.

After this, I'm moving on to a holiday bottle of Brunello that never got opened with Mrs. Power on Christmas day. If you're not a wine drinker...that's too bad...or not really because bourbon and scotch are pretty awesome. If you are a wine drinker, you either do or should know how awesome Brunellos are.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

Enjoying a little Glenfiddich 12. For some reason, even such a simple dram seems so much cooler out of my new decanter

IMAG0451.jpg

Connoisseur

Closing out Christmas night with the in-laws with a small pour of Balvenie 15 SB. I could drink this every day and not get tired of it.

Advanced Taster

Crossed over to the dark side tonight. Opened Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigeadail. First ever sips into single malt. I was slightly apprehensive that either would be too much to start with, but I took to the smoke and peat like a duck to water. After a glass of each I can tell this is going to become an expensive broadening of my drinking hobby. Merry Christmas y'all.

Guru

Dark though the side may be the peat fire glows warm on the hearth.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.