Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Someone gave me a Glenmorangie sampler pack a few years back and given the weather i thought it was high time it went. My first taste of the Nectar D'or expression, very nice & smooth, a much milder Glenmorangie than the Quinta Ruban, (Old Portwood Finish) variety which is my favorite.

Virtuoso

I'm continuing on my quest to drink a bottle of RB12 this week. I had no intentions of doing this, but its just so darn drinkable.

From the looks of the bottle, it appears to be going rather well.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I'm continuing on my quest to drink a bottle of RB12 this week. I had no intentions of doing this, but its just so darn drinkable.

From the looks of the bottle, it appears to be going rather well.
    OK Paddy, here's the deal...I'll cover whatever you don't get to, with what I take out of my bottle this week. Sound good? I'll just tell ya, you ain't got much to go......actually, it's probably "mission accomplished".... Great whiskey, ain't it?!?!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    OK Paddy, here's the deal...I'll cover whatever you don't get to, with what I take out of my bottle this week. Sound good? I'll just tell ya, you ain't got much to go......actually, it's probably "mission accomplished".... Great whiskey, ain't it?!?!
    Its a deal Joe! And yes....that is some mighty fine drinkin' whiskey!

Advanced Taster

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Auracom View Post
    Ya Mon! The only Springer I have open now is a Longrow 18, and it's probably my slowest drinker right now. With Springbank, I either stretch it out or it's gone in 3 weeks or less. Cult distillery that has been awesomely accessible around here, though they've definitely raised prices over the last couple years.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Cult distillery that has been awesomely accessible around here, though they've definitely raised prices over the last couple years.
    Springbank is one one my favs.
    The pricing tends to be on the high side due to:
    - small* and more labor intensive production than most other distilleries
    - limited distribution channels.

*Reports suggest that, although full capacity is much, much higher than that, they are actually producing only ~100,000 L/yr. To put that into perspective, Kilchoman is producing 40% more than that on an annual basis!
    Last edited by portwood; 03-21-2014 at 16:55.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Virtuoso

First peated Scotch, Longrow Campbeltown NAS. The peat didn't startle me as much as I expected. Let it sit for 15 min, few drops of water and found it to be smoky but light.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    First peated Scotch, Longrow Campbeltown NAS. The peat didn't startle me as much as I expected. Let it sit for 15 min, few drops of water and found it to be smoky but light.
    Congrats on taking the peat plunge. FWIW, peat influence tends to diminish as whiskies age, so if you like the younger NAS stuff, you'd probably enjoy the older stuff as well. Just be careful about jumping straight from Longrow to the infamous Islay peat monsters like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, or Caol Ila straight away (or try them at a bar/friends house first). Peat influence varies greatly by geographic region, and the peat notes you might come to appreciate in Longrow may be masked or completely absent in an Islay or even a heavily peated Speysider. If you do choose to continue your peated whisky journey, I'd suggest looking into Ardmore, Bunnahabhain, or Bruichladdich's standard bottlings (Laddie 10, 16, etc.) first. And for all that is holy, please try Connemara (peated Irish whiskey) prior to buying an entire bottle of it, like this idiot did.

Oddly enough, the heavily peated Islays were the first scotch whiskies that I really loved, and I went directly to completely unpeated expressions from there. It's actually the very lightly peated expressions that I'm just coming to enjoy alongside their unpeated and heavily peated brethren.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Just found a Springbank 15 myself. I think it's an older version. The box is completely enclosed unlike the current offerings which have the see through window if I'm not mistaken. Big fan of the Islay malts. Just had a tasting with some folks with the Ardbegs I had on hand - Oogie, Corry, and Ardbog. Each one is exceptional in it's own right. Also threw in a Laddie 10 as well. I've got a couple of more Islay malts waiting in the wings - Lagavulin 12, 16, and PC10 are waiting in the wings.