Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Was gifted a bottle of johnnie walker black, I cant remember the last time I had a blend.

Well I am greatly appreaciative of the gesture as it was a gentle reminder that for me becomming a "snob" is a real possibility and this has helped keep my feet on the ground. What an enjoyable and dangerously easy to consume whisky.
    I came home late last night from a shark fishing trip and cracked the bottle channeling a bit of Robert Shaw, and before I knew it almost half the bottle had gone! Fair play though I was keeping well hydrated as I was drinking it with ice which is something I almost never do but in this case it felt right.

Advanced Taster

This week I've been enjoying Laphroaig - across their entire lineup. The Triple wood is so smooth and creamy. Reminds me of Cream soda. The 1/4 cask is an open bottle standard in my house and quite reasonably priced in my neck of the woods for some reason. The 18 is so good. The PX cask (from travel retail) is quite tasty but I'm struggling with the 2013 Cairdeas (Port Wood). For whatever reason I don't love it - even though I'm supposed to. I have half a bottle left over from my tasting this week and I'll keep tasting it to see how it changes. I love Port but for whatever reason Port-finished whiskies have never done it for me. Maybe some time with this bottle will change that, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    With your hunting skills, all of the Scotch drinkers within a 200 mile radius just breathed a collective sigh of relief!
    I buy out of production scotches that I know friends like but I don't know enough to be dangerous..

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I'm struggling with the 2013 Cairdeas (Port Wood). For whatever reason I don't love it - even though I'm supposed to. I have half a bottle left over from my tasting this week and I'll keep tasting it to see how it changes. I love Port but for whatever reason Port-finished whiskies have never done it for me.
    I'm with you there, and it seems odd since I do like certain PX sherry finishes (Glendronach, and I think Lagavulin DE IIRC) - I love port, but AE, Quinta Ruban, and a few others I've tried are not my thing. For some reason it never seems to integrate but are two distinct tastes.
    Mark

Guru

HP18, JW Green, Talisker10, Macallan CS, Hakushu12 tonight
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Aaron F. dropped a lovely sample of Ardie 12/113.6 Chieftains 1B off to me yesterday on his way home from KBF while we made our Lag 16/Peat Reek exchange.

Lots and lots of yummy seaweed and loads of salt. The high proof on this one really gives the peat and salty notes an added umph! I really enjoyed this one. Thanks Aaron!!!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Enthusiast

I have recently taken a break from bourbon and have been hitting my scotch collection. Put a nice dent in my Tomatin 18 over the weekend as well as making some decent strides in my bottles of Balvenie Carribean Cask 14, Old Pultney 12 and Macallan 10 (40%).

Virtuoso

Well, it's not me, but looks like Amy Poehler is enjoying some JW Platinum ...

003_Poehler_and_Hamm_Toast_with_Johnnie_Walker_Platinum_Label_620x445.jpg
    Mark

Connoisseur

At the SMWS in Edinburgh. Mecca. I don't remember all the ones I tried, but I started with a Glen Elgin, a Bowmore, and one from the G line (grain whiskey).

Guru

Having a little Powers John's Lane. Some really damned good stuff.