Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Moving on to TIBS 2012 Hanyu Chibidaru Cask # 349 2000

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

I started with a few pours of Glenfarclas 21 last night. This is the sweet spot of the standard range for me: A huge step up from the 17 in terms of heft and flavor, and a fair bit more lively on the palate than the 25. Plenty of vanilla in here, along with the figgy wormwood notes that make Glenfarclas stand out from the crowd for me. The oak element is strong, but stays active with a fair amount of varnish remaining, giving the late palate and finish a kick that is surprising for an 86-proofer. A savory treat that goes down waaaay too easily.

On contrast, I opened a Blackadder 1997 Blairfindy 15yo. This is a 1B Glenfarclas bottled at a CS of 114°. Quite a bit lighter in color than the 21 (which has a walnut hue). The malt sugars really stand out in this bottle, shedding a different light on the Glenfarclas profile. And there's chocolate on this thing everywhere, from the nose to the palate through to the finish. It's a light, nutty chocolate that is the perfect level of sweet. This is delightful. Quite different from the blended profiles they chase in the standard line; unquestionably Glenfarclas, but isolating distillery components and letting them develop in directions you don't get in the standard OBs.

Pretty much every Glenfarclas I've had at CS blows my mind.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Aberlour 16 tonight. New bottle. Want to see if I need to buy another before a sale ends.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Glenmorangie tasting tonight. Elanta, Signet, 18 and 25 year. Should be a fun evening.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Glenmorangie tasting tonight. Elanta, Signet, 18 and 25 year. Should be a fun evening.
    Keen to read your thoughts on these.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-13-2013 at 15:21.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Keen to read your thoughts on these.
    I will certainly try. I'm an amateur on scotch. I'm very interested in the Elanta as primarily bourbon/rye guy :-)

Connoisseur

Ended the drought with some Balvenie Portwood. Good to be back!

Guru

Revisiting Balvenie TUN 1401 Batch 9

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Revisiting Balvenie TUN 1401 Batch 9
    I love how that one seems to be your friend/nemesis. I have a few that are like that too...and the bottle tends to go down faster than most others. There's parts that you really like, but some that you can't quite figure out.

I can speak to the Glenmo tasting done above with the exception the 25 year.

18 year - If you like the younger Glenmo offerings, you'll love this one. Just a bit more mellowed by the wood, but still classic Glenmo flavor. Full of rich honeyed spice and a long malty finish. Maybe my favorite 18 year offering. And with the recent pricing ($75 OTD), I might have to buy an extra bottle. Sweet and rich, but without the sherry that you generally get with the sweeter drams.

Ealanta - Didn't I send you a sample of this? This is a top 3-5 dram for me. All of the rich maltiness that I want, but the new barrel influence is there and gives it a sweetness and nose that is like an American Whiskey...but without losing what makes it a single malt. It's pricey at $100+ most places, but it may be worth it. I'd highly recommend it for someone looking for something slightly different...and that likes bourbon. You'll be able to taste this soon if I recall.

Signet - Glenmo's attempt at smokey. It comes out with a lot of bitter flavors like dark chocolate and rich coffee. It tastes as dark as the bottle looks. It's not a sulpher/iodine smoke, but rather like chewing on a chocolate coffee bean with just a hint of wood smoke. Admittedly smoke isn't my favorite (it may be growing on me a bit ), but this one has a flavor combination that would really work for those who like a bit of bitterness in their beverage. Again a unique offering, but high priced at $200.
    Last edited by Max Power; 11-14-2013 at 08:59.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I love how that one seems to be your friend/nemesis. I have a few that are like that too...and the bottle tends to go down faster than most others. There's parts that you really like, but some that you can't quite figure out.
    Yep. That's exactly how this 9 is for me - this bottle is draining fast as I'm trying to figure it out.

I believe the Ealanta sample is en route & thanks again!