Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Thanks whiskeyagonzo - I really appreciate your notes. I've got a sample of Ealanta inbound but it seems like one that would appeal to the bourbonphile's palate.

I've been interested in the Signet for some time now but there's always been something else higher on the priority list... Need to try it for myself one of these days.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Anybody got experience with Batch 6? I spotted one on a high, high shelf last week. If I play my cards right, it may reappear in my stocking about 40 days from now.
    My order is 3>6>9 but I do reach for the 9 more than the 6...

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Pretty much every Glenfarclas I've had at CS blows my mind.
    Interested to hear that Aaron as there is a couple Independents at a store near me that I am pretty sure are CS, given a very low CS, and about 41 or 42 year old. I think they are Lonach labeled and Glendarroch or something like that, you know anything about them?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Virtuoso

Aberfeldy 12 after dinner followed by Redbreast 12CS...picking up heavy vanilla cream with a spice overlay tonight. Where has this wonderful Irish been all my life?

Working my way through a couple samples, Macallan 18 (1984) and an older botting of HP 18. The HP 18 is an incredibly easy drinking pour, I could see myself getting lost in it!!

Connoisseur

The Flora &Fauna Mortlach 16 is doing well with a week of air. Some of the alcohol notes have dissipated, the sherry is a bit richer, and the savory meat character is a bit stronger. I absolutely love this distillery.

Connoisseur

I started last night off with a small pour of the basic Caol Ila. I need more time with this but I found the initial peat to be pretty close to a Talisker character though with a much stronger peat finish. After that I decided to be somewhat silly (I did just return back after a day of travel) and opened some of the super cheap Sheildag whiskies from Total Wine I picked up months ago.

2013-11-15 18.52.00.jpg

The classic on the left was... in one word... TERRIBLE. I've had whiskeys I did not enjoy before but none tasted truly bad, bad enough that after a sip I had to dump the glass. I don't know how to accurately describe it but it was just gross. The highlands on the right however was not bad. Not very complex but had some nice peat to it, similar to a Bowmore Legend but not quite as good. My wife enjoyed it as well so we will likely continue to stock this one at $26 after tax in WA.

After the classic I wanted a basic speyside that did not taste horrible so I broke out a Glenfiddich 12. Man, I know many turn their noses up at this but it really is a refreshing single malt. Nice, crisp, clean, with a great sweetness to it. One I don't feel bad about dropping in an ice cube and enjoying on a hot day though last night was straight. It won't win any awards for complexity but it really is quite satisfying, especially after 5 min in the glass.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Working my way through a couple samples, Macallan 18 (1984) and an older botting of HP 18. The HP 18 is an incredibly easy drinking pour, I could see myself getting lost in it!!
    Poured some of the same and it is an excellent malt!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Poured some of the same and it is an excellent malt!
    I look forward to opening my newly acquired bottle

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Interested to hear that Aaron as there is a couple Independents at a store near me that I am pretty sure are CS, given a very low CS, and about 41 or 42 year old. I think they are Lonach labeled and Glendarroch or something like that, you know anything about them?
    Never heard of it. I know that Blackadder calls it Blairfindy and it looks like Ballindalloch is another name that pops up under a few bottlers. The oldest I had was 31yo - the 1974 vintage - but that was an OB. It's the stuff of dreams.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--