Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 32 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Warming up my palate with some JW Green. Might dive into a new bottle after that, as I've cleared out some stragglers lately.

Enthusiast

nursing myself out of a brutal cold, but managed tasty little pour of the Laddie 10.

Virtuoso

After dinner, taking a census of whisky stocks, bourbon & monday night football,...decided to finish the evening off in a mellow fashion with Balvenie FR...smooth & refreshing.

Guru

I just can't seem to keep my paws off of my bottles...

Rosebank 21 / 2011
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I opened my first ever bottle of Lag 16 a few weeks ago, and I'm not finding much to love with it. I get the sherry, I get the Lag peat, but it's all quite tired and faded. I had a bottle of the CS 12yo last Spring that I really enjoyed, and that will be the one I go back to in the Laga line. I see no reason to spend $80 on the 16 (though I got the one I have for $60, so I can't complain too much).
    Bummer! Sorry you didn't care for it Aaron! More than happy to take it off your hands! I'm sure we can work a trade!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Ending the weekend....starting the evening with the Saints and something from the lowland...Auchentoshan 10. I found this one while out & about last week...not sure it's in production now...had not come across it before & hard to pass for under $40.

WHO DAT? WHO DAT? GEAUX SAINTS!!!
    I found this pour very light and delicate. Some nice floral notes but very Speysider-ish. Almost drinks like an Irish. I didn't care for it much. I had to really dig for tasting notes.
    Josh

Connoisseur

Regular Lag 16 isn't aged in sherry casks, is it? I thought that was the Distiller's Edition only?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Chainwhip requested my thoughts on the Glenmorangie tasting I attended last night. Full Disclosure, I am not a scotch aficionado. I have been a part of a whisky club for about a year. I joined as way to try many different whiskies and get a better feel as to my tastes and get out of my comfort zone of bourbon/rye. I have tried many different single malts and scotches over the past several months. Until last night, none had really knocked my socks off. First up was the 18 year. I enjoyed it but wasn't my cup of tea. The 25 year was second. I wish the price list wasn't on the table for the tasting because no matter how good it was, there was no way I was walking out with a bottle ($529.99). Still at this point I wasn't that impressed. Next up was Ealanta. Holy cow! When I first nosed it I could have sworn my nose was in a bottle of pure vanilla extract. It was heavenly. It had a very soft and easy entry. The finish was warm with some vanilla and spice. I am now trying to locate a bottle. Last but not least was the Signet. I'm glad they saved this one for last. The Ealanta was light and fluffy, the Signet was very rich and syrupy. It had cocoa and a nuttiness on the nose. The palate was chocolate and maybe some hints of coffee? It was very sweet. The finish was right in my wheelhouse. It had a sweet yet spicy finish that went on for a while. Well, for what it's worth that was my take on the evening. It's hard for me to pick a winner. I am torn between the Ealanta & Signet. I did order an Ealanta, but I will probably track down a Signet after the first of the year. I've spent a load on bourbon and rye the past couple of weeks so the wife learning that I am now buying Scotch is not a discussion I am ready to have just yet. ;-) Cheers fellas!!
    The Ealanta is Jim Murray's Whisky of the Year. Take that for what it's worth to ya.

Bummed I had to miss this tasting due to my class. I've had the Signet several times and it never disappoints.
    Josh

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Ledaig 10 year old. One of my new favourite Scotches! I'll take this over those overpriced Islays any day.
    Ask TomH what he thinks about this one.

Not my cup if tea but I've definitely had much, much worse.
    Josh

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I just can't seem to keep my paws off of my bottles...

Rosebank 21 / 2011
    That's good draming right there! Sometimes I think the silent distilleries get a little too much love just because they're no longer producing but Port Ellen and Rosebank are the real deal. Damn shame they're gone.
    Josh