Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I had a small pour of Glenlivet 12yr last night and it just didn't taste right to me. I'm hoping my palate was just off or I really wasn't in the mood for scotch for some reason. Weird, as I remember enjoying Glenlivet 12 in the past.
    I'm still trying many different Scotches and after a good experience with a dusty Glenlivet 18, saw the 12 on sale for $30 so I bought it in order to further my "education". Wow. What a tremendous let-down for a 12 yo single malt. I get almost no flavors on the palate - only a few on the finish, which is still weak. And it wasn't because of other drams I had - it was my first of the evening.

Clavius - I suspect that you've just been spoiled by other, much better drams - both Scotch and Bourbon - since you've enjoyed the G12 in the past!
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Guru

A heavenly pour of PJL right now to wash the taste of myAtG beer out of my mouth.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Eye View Post
    I get almost no flavors on the palate - only a few on the finish, which is still weak.
    Glenlivet is a subtle one and that's a part of it's traditional appeal, something approachable, not too challenging.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Really enjoying my first bottle of RB12. Excellent on a damp wet night.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Eye View Post
    I'm still trying many different Scotches and after a good experience with a dusty Glenlivet 18, saw the 12 on sale for $30 so I bought it in order to further my "education". Wow. What a tremendous let-down for a 12 yo single malt. I get almost no flavors on the palate - only a few on the finish, which is still weak. And it wasn't because of other drams I had - it was my first of the evening.

Clavius - I suspect that you've just been spoiled by other, much better drams - both Scotch and Bourbon - since you've enjoyed the G12 in the past!
    You're probably right. Typically, I'm an Islay guy. But I like a Highland single malt occasionally. The bottle of Glenmorangie 10yr I tried a few weeks ago was light years better than this bottle of Glenlivet 12.

Guru

I did manage to get the Emerald open for a taste test on Thanksgiving. Very interesting but as usual youngish and pricey to buy a craft spirit, even a good one. Still despite it's tender age the pleasant fruit flavor of the pot still component is clearly there and it has a really delightful chewy quality perhaps from the inclusion of oats?

Would be interesting to try this after another 3-4 years.

Emerald.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    oh, I'd say it is all Irish. Just nobody has been making it the way it should be for quite some time.

While out here in Oregon I picked up two bottles of the Emerald 1865 whiskey from Ransom Spirits. Not really foreign whiskey but being made based on an 1865 recipe for pot still whiskey that was unearthed by David Wondrich. They previously collaborated on Ransom Old Tom Gin.

http://www.ransomspirits.com/spirits.php

I definitely plan to open this one for Thanksgiving!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I did a vatting. I watched the Seahawks game and started by emptying a Vintage 21 neat. I then consumed some Mortlach 16 neat. I ended with some Clynelish 14 neat. I am currently vatting them in my belly and expect the finished results in a wee bit of time, it probably tastes similar to most cheap blends.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I did manage to get the Emerald open for a taste test on Thanksgiving.
    I like the way Ransom is upfront with their mash bills and production techniques. Disclosure of proof off the still and barrel entry would be nice but what they give is higher than average transparency.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I did a vatting. I watched the Seahawks game and started by emptying a Vintage 21 neat. I then consumed some Mortlach 16 neat. I ended with some Clynelish 14 neat. I am currently vatting them in my belly and expect the finished results in a wee bit of time, it probably tastes similar to most cheap blends.
    Can you send me a sample of that vatting?
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

A little Rosebank 21 tonight. Light in color, but comes on strong. I need another go round with this one because the ABV took me by surprise the first sip. Very unique and tasty. Floral and sweetness with a very specific bite.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!