Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 67 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Did they do a 2013 version? I have the 2012 but can't remember seeing one from last year.

For myself I had a great Springbank flight from a local spot that does half pours.

Springbank 9, 4 + 5 years in Gaja Barolo
    Springbank 12, 6 + 6 years in Calvados
    Longrow 11 IB from Rundlets and Kilderkins.

My favorite was the Calvados 12 and my wifes was the Longrow.
    I heard that 2012 was the last (only 2 years). I've had the Springbank Calvados Expression (good, but overpriced) and recently got a bottle of Rundlets and Kilderkins, but haven't opened it yet (highly recommended), along with a Longrow Red Cabernet Sauvignon 11 (very intriguing and enjoyable). I've heard about the Barolo release, but I've never seen it. My next Springbank is the Cask Strength 12. Springbank makes great stuff!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    I heard that 2012 was the last (only 2 years). I've had the Springbank Calvados Expression (good, but overpriced) and recently got a bottle of Rundlets and Kilderkins, but haven't opened it yet (highly recommended), along with a Longrow Red Cabernet Sauvignon 11 (very intriguing and enjoyable). I've heard about the Barolo release, but I've never seen it. My next Springbank is the Cask Strength 12. Springbank makes great stuff!
    Thats strange, I just looked and I can't seem to find info on whether they actually did more than one Cask of Dreams. Some sites claim 2012 or 2013 releases but in both cases they are the same bottle, run around the country in 2012 and actually released in 2013. I guess it's not big deal, I have my one bottle and look forward to trying it.

I'm jealous of your springbank collection. To this date I have only a single bottle of Longrow 14 Madeira that I just received (no, it's not open yet CW ) but would like to expand my collection. I'm thinking about grabbing a CS or two from them, I have a sample of a 14 year CS and it's great. In fact, I may go pour myself a little of that right now...

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Thats strange, I just looked and I can't seem to find info on whether they actually did more than one Cask of Dreams. Some sites claim 2012 or 2013 releases but in both cases they are the same bottle, run around the country in 2012 and actually released in 2013. I guess it's not big deal, I have my one bottle and look forward to trying it.

I'm jealous of your springbank collection. To this date I have only a single bottle of Longrow 14 Madeira that I just received (no, it's not open yet CW ) but would like to expand my collection. I'm thinking about grabbing a CS or two from them, I have a sample of a 14 year CS and it's great. In fact, I may go pour myself a little of that right now...
    According to what I've read, Cask of Dreams was only for the USA in 2011 (released 2012) and 2012 (released 2013 and still available here at $93-98).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    According to what I've read, Cask of Dreams was only for the USA in 2011 (released 2012) and 2012 (released 2013 and still available here at $93-98).
    Interesting... then I have no idea what version I have. I assume the 2012 released one but I guess I need to look closer at the bottle... when I get a chance to dig it out from my closet, ugh.

Guru

Had some nice casual drams with a couple friends yesterday. A Glen Mhor distilled in 1978, a 37 y/o Ladyburn and a Coal Ila and Glen Scotia that were 20+ y/o. Not my usual fare but they did just fine in a pinch.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Had some nice casual drams with a couple friends yesterday. A Glen Mhor distilled in 1978, a 37 y/o Ladyburn and a Coal Ila and Glen Scotia that were 20+ y/o. Not my usual fare but they did just fine in a pinch.
    Joe said I missed you by a minute. I'm really pissed he poured me that Ladyburn, actually. I need a taste for a 37yo whisky like I need to be diagnosed by a mortician. It was fantastic!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Joe said I missed you by a minute. I'm really pissed he poured me that Ladyburn, actually. I need a taste for a 37yo whisky like I need to be diagnosed by a mortician. It was fantastic!
    Ha! I can sympathize. I have noticed my "that's too expensive" meter for SMS creeping upward recently. It was disconcerting how enjoyable those all were. It's much cheaper for me to assume those are all overaged museum pieces!

Sorry we missed you! We had to time everything right so we could fill our bellies with pastrami, get The Nova Man his bottles and still beat the storm back! We managed to do it with the worst weather being some flurries as we drove around the lake on I-94.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Just a quick note about how great it is to have met and made friends with fellow SBr's. Yeah, we're all whisky enthusiasts here but being able to share pours and hang out in person is a big bonus. Slainte!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

Enjoying my next to last bottle of JW Green. I really need an indoor smoking room, too cold for a cigar outdoors.

Enthusiast

Had another pour of Tullamore Dew Phoenix last night. This is a very unique, flavorful Irish Whiskey. There's a lot going on with it, and it's not just trying to be a sweet, vanilla, citrus kind of Irish. The proof gives it very full flavor, and plays nicely with the pot still, sherry, etc. It joins really nicely with the RB CS and PJL as three top-notch, higher proof, reasonably priced (IMHO) Irish whiskeys.