Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 71 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 975
  1. #701
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    187

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    Aberlour Abunadh Batch 27


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #702
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    500

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    After the Seahawks win I opened my Glenfiddich 21. I have been wanting to try this for a while due mainly to my general enjoyment of 'fiddich and the fact that it's rum cask finished. I was a little underwhelmed by the dram in terms of complexity, it drank like water (partially due to the paltry 40% ABV) and from the age, it was just smoooooth. Sadly it also lacked a lot of depth, it reminded me heavily of a cognac, except that there actually was a decent finish, something most cognacs seem to lack. I did not get a lot of the rum cask influence, none of the toffee notes I normally think of, but I did get lots of banana which was kinda fun.

    The choice came down to one of my GlenDronach single casks (wanted to wait on these), the fiddich 21, and the Balvenie 21. I'm thinking the Balvenie would have been the better choice as I know thats stellar, but at least I know I won't be getting another one of these bottles. For Glenfiddich the 15 year and the Rich Oak are still my favorites, though I have yet to open the malt masters, either of the cask of discoveries (bourbon of Madeira) , or the cask of dreams so who knows.

  3. #703
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    48

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    I was gifted some Fiddich 21. And well, it will be a great one to share with non-whisky drinkers.

  4. #704
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    859

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    After the Seahawks win I opened my Glenfiddich 21. I have been wanting to try this for a while due mainly to my general enjoyment of 'fiddich and the fact that it's rum cask finished. I was a little underwhelmed by the dram in terms of complexity, it drank like water (partially due to the paltry 40% ABV) and from the age, it was just smoooooth. Sadly it also lacked a lot of depth, it reminded me heavily of a cognac, except that there actually was a decent finish, something most cognacs seem to lack. I did not get a lot of the rum cask influence, none of the toffee notes I normally think of, but I did get lots of banana which was kinda fun.

    The choice came down to one of my GlenDronach single casks (wanted to wait on these), the fiddich 21, and the Balvenie 21. I'm thinking the Balvenie would have been the better choice as I know thats stellar, but at least I know I won't be getting another one of these bottles. For Glenfiddich the 15 year and the Rich Oak are still my favorites, though I have yet to open the malt masters, either of the cask of discoveries (bourbon of Madeira) , or the cask of dreams so who knows.
    I pretty much concur on all points. While I liked it, it certainly wasn't one that I would pay $100+ for. I too enjoy the 15 a lot for the price ($36 at Hi Time). It might be one of the best drams for the money out there.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  5. #705
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    500

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I pretty much concur on all points. While I liked it, it certainly wasn't one that I would pay $100+ for. I too enjoy the 15 a lot for the price ($36 at Hi Time). It might be one of the best drams for the money out there.
    Exactly. Very smooth but without a lot of defining characteristics, certainly seemed pedestrian compared to the sherry bombs I've been drinking lately. Funny enough, it reminded me a little of JW Blue. Smooth without much else, though it has been sometime since I've had JW Blue so maybe it's changed.

  6. #706
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I did not get a lot of the rum cask influence, none of the toffee notes I normally think of, but I did get lots of banana which was kinda fun.
    I think most (if not all) rum is aged in used barrels (mostly ex-bourbon). By the time the rum producers are done with them the barrels will be re-re-fills, therefore, not much of the wood is left for the next use (i.e. flavouring the whisky), all one can expect is for some of the rum left in the barrel to mix with the whisky. Then again, that might be what Glenfiddich is after ...
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  7. #707
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    500

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    I think most (if not all) rum is aged in used barrels (mostly ex-bourbon). By the time the rum producers are done with them the barrels will be re-re-fills, therefore, not much of the wood is left for the next use (i.e. flavouring the whisky), all one can expect is for some of the rum left in the barrel to mix with the whisky. Then again, that might be what Glenfiddich is after ...
    Very true, I just recall rum finished whiskeys with lots of rum influence showing in the palate, though those could have been first fill. I have to remember it's just like with sherry casks, you can have pale gold all the way to dark wood color coming from a sherry cask, it depends on the number of refills, cask type, and time in finishing cask.

  8. #708
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    Last night. Nikka Yoichi 10 whilst watching the season kickoff of Sherlock.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  9. #709
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ball Ground, GA
    Posts
    611

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    I did a SBS of Springbank 10 and the 15 y.o. expressions right after dinner. The sherry influence and extra 5 years in the casks of the 15 really sets it apart from the 10 which is not to be dismissed at all. Awesome pours!

  10. #710
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

    A buddy brought over this to share while we installed a headset into his bike:



    Hakushu 18 43%
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 351
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 08:51
  2. What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?
    By boss302 in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 2423
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 22:10
  3. What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?
    By Alphanumeric in forum Cocktails
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 21:36
  4. What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012
    By sob0728 in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 09:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top