Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 77 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
    Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Thx for the notes fellas - well done! GD is such an easy one to like - the cacao tones are really delicious.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I'd echo these as well. The wine finish on the Companta is like the Quinta Ruban with a bit more of a dry finish. Head to head, I preferred the QR and it's less than half the price. Companta will not be a repeat buy. I'm going to have to do a side by side of the Glendronach 15 and 21. The 21 has the huge finish that is reflected in the price, but 15 years tends to be my wheelhouse. However, 21 might have overtaken it as my favorite GD offering. Good thing I can revisit it.
    Sorry to hear that about the Companta although I may still have to give it a try for myself unless I can find a way to try it without buying.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Rain has finally hit the Bay Area. I cracked open a Laphroaig 10 cask strength. So far so good. A little hot but very tasty.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Sorry to hear that about the Companta although I may still have to give it a try for myself unless I can find a way to try it without buying.
    Don't take it as us saying that it's bad. It's good...it's just not something that I would repeat by for $100+. I'll probably try it again later this week after some air and see if that changes anything. I'm a huge fan of Glenmo, so this was a surprise to me...especially since they generally do so well with their wine finishes.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Taster

Brother just dropped off a bottle of hibiki 21 that he picked up at narita...never had it and know very little of Japanese whiskey...but happy to try it out

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by grantsi View Post
    Brother just dropped off a bottle of hibiki 21 that he picked up at narita...never had it and know very little of Japanese whiskey...but happy to try it out
    Supposed to be superb, if pricey, based on the reviews I have read!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by grantsi View Post
    I doubt you will be disappointed. Supposed to be an amazing dram, just prohibitively expensive.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Don't take it as us saying that it's bad. It's good...it's just not something that I would repeat by for $100+. I'll probably try it again later this week after some air and see if that changes anything. I'm a huge fan of Glenmo, so this was a surprise to me...especially since they generally do so well with their wine finishes.
    Don't worry, not too discouraged yet! A couple other reviews have commented on the dry tannic finish. Not typically my preference but will just have to try it for myself and see.

Connoisseur

Had some more Glendronach CS Batch 3. You know, I'm just not that impressed with this whisky, it's actually a bit of a let down after trying the basic 12 year. It has less fruit and more heat, which you would expect, but it seems like I just can't find the balance. Don't get me wrong, it's still a tasty pour, I just currently think the GD 12 year expression is better and fuller. I'll keep playing with the water ratio to see if I can find that perfect balance.

On the other hand I had some more of the Burns Malt 12 year Tomatin from thewhiskybarrel... sooooooooo good. I could nose that dram for hours, and last night I did! I'm down to just a few pours left in the bottle (after putting away a decent sized sample for later) and am thinking about ordering another bottle. Thankfully that same site has the GD 21 year for $100 and the 15 year for $60, and shipping drops to around $12-$15 a bottle if you order a few.

hmmmmm.....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Had some more Glendronach CS Batch 3. You know, I'm just not that impressed with this whisky, it's actually a bit of a let down after trying the basic 12 year. It has less fruit and more heat, which you would expect, but it seems like I just can't find the balance. Don't get me wrong, it's still a tasty pour, I just currently think the GD 12 year expression is better and fuller. I'll keep playing with the water ratio to see if I can find that perfect balance.
    How about, instead of water, add some of the 12yo to the CS ...
    (I haven't tried this myself, but it might just work. The best part is that the result is still a single malt!)
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire