Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 79 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Finished off a bottle of a birthday present, Glenlivet Nadurra (Batch #0312S). At first I didn't really care for the dram, but the last 1/3rd of the bottle was outstanding. My thinking is that I probably wouldn't buy it, but if I were gifted again, I'd decant for at least a few weeks prior to drinking. As I mentioned in the WRONG THREAD, I really enjoy cask strength whiskies out of NEAT glasses. This pour absolutely works in that context, bringing out all the pear, apple, and white grape flavors this pour is known for. Great experience in the end.
    I had the bottle in my hand for $55 yesterday and put it down. Same store had Bakers for $29 (probably my favorite Beam) and Booker's Roundtable 2013-7 for $37. Their prices are ridiculous (Buffalo Trace $17 for example), but I just didn't pull the trigger on the Nadurra. The fact that I despise Glenlivet 12 keeps clouding my brain even though I really liked the 18. Posts like yours make me even more wishy washy.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I had the bottle in my hand for $55 yesterday and put it down. Same store had Bakers for $29 (probably my favorite Beam) and Booker's Roundtable 2013-7 for $37. Their prices are ridiculous (Buffalo Trace $17 for example), but I just didn't pull the trigger on the Nadurra. The fact that I despise Glenlivet 12 keeps clouding my brain even though I really liked the 18. Posts like yours make me even more wishy washy.
    For $55 you should absolutely buy if you like lighter/fruiter (green fruit, not red) scotch whiskies. It's $85 where I live, thus uninteresting.
    Eric

The Voshole

PJL tonight. Seem to be getting more dark chocolate than usual, which is working very nicely
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Apprentice

Four Roses 125th Anniv. Small Batch. Lovely stuff, especially on a wet, snowy night like tonight.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by risenc View Post
    Four Roses 125th Anniv. Small Batch. Lovely stuff, especially on a wet, snowy night like tonight.
    Tell it to the bourbon thread Mostly malt in here

I agree though, the FR125 is special stuff. In fact, the more scotch I drink, the harder it is to drink any bourbon other than FR.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Currently open: Glenmo 18 and Laphroaig 18 (both from Costco), Balvenie 17 Double Wood, Glenlivet Archive 21 which I picked up for $119 the other day which was a nice find.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Tell it to the bourbon thread Mostly malt in here

I agree though, the FR125 is special stuff. In fact, the more scotch I drink, the harder it is to drink any bourbon other than FR.
    I actually had a tiny bit of that last night too. I enjoyed it. It was a bourbon kind of night for me last night. It will be malts tonight.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Had some Johnnie Walker Swing from a 1960's bottling. Not very impressed, a very farmy nose with a standard blended palate and even some heat on the finish.

Didn't expect much but maybe it would've been better after the bottle had some air after being sealed for decades. I'll never know. You see, I had not planned on drinking this bottle, maybe ever. I found it cheap at a small store, turns out it's a bit of a collectors piece. The only bottle I ever considered selling because I couldn't imagine the whisky to be all that great.

I've had it on my bar for some time. Tonight a book fell off a small shelf onto a bottle which fell onto another and another. In all 5 bottles fell. 3 broke. Half a bottle of Hangar1 vodka, a resealable bottle of a premixed cocktail and this 40 year old bottle of Johnnie Walker Swing. A bottle of cheap tequila popped open spilling half its contents but not breaking and a bottle of Noilly Prat dry vermouth fell but was unscathed.

The neck of the Swing broke off, so by the time I got to the garage where the bar was most of it had spilled out, but there was about 1 standard pour remaining. My first order of business was to salvage that into a glencairn. Could have been worse, much worse, but still a bit of bummer. Happy valentines day.
    Last edited by RVTsteve; 02-14-2014 at 21:27.
    Definitely drink it...tonight -Sutton

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Could have been worse, much worse, but still a bit of bummer. Happy valentines day.

Sorry to hear about the tragedy - but as you say, it could've been worse. Happy VD & all that jazz

For me, I took a few side trips to Japan (Karuizawa Cocktail 1981 #162) and Ireland (Redbreast 12 CS) these past couple of nights - it is great fun to travel the world in the comforts of my own home ;-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Happy VD & all that jazz
    I've become accustomed to the acronyms used here, but this one .... I'm not sure
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire